Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

graphite basses

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by kip, Jun 12, 2003.

1. kip

kip

Sep 11, 2002
    Sausalito, Ca
    Though I will never part with the animate eccentricities of my hand carved wood DB, what are these graphite basses mentioned as a footnote to the photo of a very talented musician demonstating said instrument. (in Misc./ ISB Convention)?

As a possible foul weather, dirt road tour gig bass, how do they sound, how much $, links? No, wash-tub bass is not a suitable alternative.

2. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I recall reading a thread a while back here about graphite basses. The company is called Quintus.

IIRC, they were somewhere in the neighborhood of $10K. That's a little more than I would pay for a "dirt road" bass.

Chas

3. Eric_J

Eric_J Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Flower Mound, TX. USA
    Bassist magizine had a review of three of them a while ago.

4. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    It's too bad the price ended up so high.

When it was still under development, they were talking about a $4000 bass. Still not cheap, but if it sounded at least as good as the best plywood basses it would have been interesting for guys like me who play hell-hole gigs in rock and blues bands.

One of my EBGs is a Steinberger so I'm not afraid of graphite :cool:

5. kip

kip

Sep 11, 2002
    Sausalito, Ca
    Arnold's plywood New Standards are a proven commodity, sound really good by all accounts, are durable, and are less than 1/2 the price. No spam intended, but gotta make you think.

6. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    I heard that! Supposedly, Quintus is looking at doing a lower priced model soon, aimed at the school market. 10k would buy some pretty nice wood.

7. Jeff Bollbach

Jeff Bollbach Jeff Bollbach Luthier, Inc.

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    I played a few of these at the convention[including the pink one]. Interesting, but I had no idea that they were that expensive. Don't even think about it! Sound was surprizingly not bad, but the set-up was sorely lacking and the ebony board was only average quality. If you were to go with one of Arnold and Will's New Standards you'd get the best board available[makes a huge difference] and it would be set-up by someone whose skill at this cannot be beat.

8. Alex Scott

Alex Scott

May 8, 2002
    Austin, TX
    they should just close up shop, what dummies 10k
    that is the worst idea I have ever heard.

9. When I was in High School my after school job was at a Car Detail Shop. I work there for a few years and got to rub shoulders with all the Car Salesmen. One day their top salesman took me outside to look at a car I was to clean. He told me they were buried in it and he had to get "so and so" money out of it. I remember I told the man, "Aint no way, thats a peice of crap"..The wise old man took a big draw from his cigar and look at me..." Son, I`ve been selling cars for 30 years and the one thing I`ve learned is theres an ASS for every seat"...So I guess this holds true for buying Double Basses also. Somebody`s paying it..:D

Dave

10. I got a chance to check one of the Quintus basses out when they first came out. I can't say it was bad, but I've played (and owned) better plywoods that cost a whole lot less money. So unless they drop the price or find a big market for indestructible basses, I don't think they'll be around much longer. The kinda sad thing is I don't think a graphite bass will get any better, no matter how long you own the thing...

11. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    I think that those carbon/graphite/composite instruments are going to be the norm for student outfits in 1/16 up to 1/2 instruments. My music school has half dozen of them, of the Cozy variety. Easy maintenance, light weight, the kids are doing good on them. They are way better than a bad ply.

12. kip

kip

Sep 11, 2002
    Sausalito, Ca
    Exactly, and while bass players want everything worry free once the house lights go down, we generally like to worry about that clumsy contraption

Oh, the humidity has changed, gotta compensate.

Oh, it's summer, time to tweak the sound post and bridge heigth.

Oh, gotta hunt down that wolf.

Etc.

And eventually, oh yea, the sound is beginning to really open up!!!

13. I played a graphite in a shop in Paris when I was visiting with Olivier. "Interesting," as they say, but $10K? No way.

14. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    List price for a 3/4 Cosy is like €3k. I think music school get them bellow €2k. At $10k, maybe they try to charge the entire cost of development on the first few customers...

15. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Feb 16, 2002
    Brewster, NY, USA
    The graphite basses at ISB were $7800, not $10,000. Surprisingly loud. I thought the shape a bit weird, with avalanching shoulders and a wide bottom. But they seem pretty sturdy, and I could see their usefulness in certain circumstances. Years ago, I wanted to make a similar instrument, but with a laminated wood top. But development costs would have been huge--hence, I think, the high price of the Quintus. Molds alone had to have been in the $tens of thousands...

16. Alex Scott

Alex Scott

May 8, 2002
    Austin, TX
    still, you could get a really nice juzek or similar bass for that- maybe when they pay off the molds they will be cheaper

Trust me, you don't want to be an early adopter on this one.

17. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I've played them a few years ago in Utah, then last year or so in town, then again in Richmond. They would be a great instrument for schools. It's amazing (and a shame) what kids do to instruments. (damn kids these days... why, when I was young... no respect... and another thing...)

But, the price tag needs some work. Even if they were priced 2K-4K, Shen's or Arnold's basses would be a better instrument.