Graphite fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Stinkoman20xx, Mar 1, 2005.

1. Stinkoman20xx

Oct 19, 2003
    Ive been entesreted in a graphite fretless alot really. How well does graphite last as a fingerboard compared to wood and does any body have any sound clips of a graphite fretless?
  2. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Graphite composite necks don't normally have "graphite" fingerboards. They either use phenolic (a resin-impregnated paper, if I recall), diamondwood/phenowood/rockwood (resin-impregnated wood), or regular wood.

What necks were you specifically looking at?

3. Stinkoman20xx

Oct 19, 2003
    I was looking at the moses graphite necks they had and consider making me a fretless with warmoth parts.
  4. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    That's normally a phenolic board, though I think you can also order it with diamondwood. Both are harder and smoother than wood, and will generally give a brighter tone with more sustain.

5. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I have one. Not exactly a round, muted fretless tone, but not crazy bright like something with frets. :spit:

I recorded a version of Discipline that I played fretless on. The recording sucks, but you might get an idea from it. It's in mp3 format on my website.
  6. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    One word of caution, I was planning at one time to make a Warmoth/Moses bass. Once I had all the pieces, I discovered that the Warmoth neck pocket was a hair too small for the Moses neck. If you are competent woodworker, this is not a problem. If you are an average joe like me, it is a show stopper.
  7. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    My Moses and Warmoth fit very well..
    ....This is only my opinion, here's a couple things to consider:
    Due to the tonal nature of the graphite choose your electronics and wood carefully, the Moses is alot warmer than other Graphite pieces, but is still graphite...
    Double the delivery time you are quoted on the neck if you are ordering custom, they take a while..
    These pieces are expensive, be carefull mounting them. If your not sure, pay someone..
    good luck!!