Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Graphite Neck Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DarkMazda, Nov 24, 2000.

1. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    I was wondering if anyone knows any info about Graphite Necks.... Like what brand makes them.. I Know Moses and Status does that they sell.. From what i hear from MegaAngus, the Moses one tends to be weaker compared to Status, but Status is way in UK.. i was just wondering if there are any other companies that do Graphite necks other than these 2 places and if anyone knows where I can order Graphite Necks for J/P Bass :)

DM

2. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Yep, just so people can hear it from me, i told him that moses necks tend to be less stiff than Status necks from what ive played (but still VERY stiff), but sounds more much natural than Status ever will. But the Status neck will help cut better.

3. RETSAMPALS

RETSAMPALS

Sep 10, 2000
    what is so great about graphite necks? less warpage? my neck is warped and split a bit at the fretboard and the part where the headstock is attached to the neck...so i sorta tried to glue it back together with clamp....it this doesnt work i may need a new neck....

4. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Well, they sound really good too, imo. I love the feel.

5. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    less warping..... lighter(weight wise), comfortable... i love graphite necks .. :) and with a PBass neck on a Jazz bass... that is the best :)

DM

6. Modulus use graphite nacks on their basses. I'd love one of those.. a bit out of my reach here in Sweden though :(

7. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
  8. RETSAMPALS

RETSAMPALS

Sep 10, 2000
    what are the moses and status websites?

9. RETSAMPALS

RETSAMPALS

Sep 10, 2000
    thanks...do you think it's worth it if my bass isn't that great in the first place? i'm gonna get some emg p/js in it and i might do the graphit neck thing....

10. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    it should be worth it .... what bass do ya have? :)

11. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Sometimes tons of modifications cant help if you dont have much to begin with, but tell us what you have at least!

[Edited by MegaAngus on 11-26-2000 at 11:34 AM]

12. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Absolutely right, M-A. Mods can change a bass, but that's not always a good thing. Moses necks aren't cheap, you have to figure out the point of diminishing returns. By that I mean, at what point in financial and time investment do you get into an area where the the money may be better spent on a different bass. If you put EMG pickups and preamp in, for example a Rogue bass, you have mods that exceed the cost of the bass. That may be fine, but the financial worth of the bass will barely budge.

13. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    Brad: Im getting a '91 MIA Fender Jazz Bass Plus with the J Pick ups taken out and Bartolini Soapbars put in(traded my Carvin for it).... so I'm wondering if i should put the Moses Graphite P Bass neck in to the Jazz Bass :) I think it would be great!!!

14. MrGump

MrGump

Apr 20, 2000
    Someone is always selling a P-bass,and a J-bass,Status Graphite neck on ebay.You might have to search the "completed auctions"though.Then contact the seller.

15. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    The guy who is always selling Status necks on eBay is Dennis at the Bass Place in Phoenix.

http://www.thebassplace.com/

I bought a Status P-Bass neck from him last month and will be building a bass (Heavy ash body) with it with Lane Poor Jazz Classic pickups, Hipshot bridge & tuners and J-Retro Preamp. I'll post a photo gallery of the project as it progresses. Dennis was great to deal with by the way!

Now if you want to know the funny part...I'm a Moses Authorized dealer! I love the Moses products but wanted to try out a Status for comparison and Dennis cut me a good price on the Status neck.

If anyone needs any prices or info on Moses products please feel free to contact me.

16. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    Dude: I was looking for Moses P Bass!!! It says $350 retail so I was wondering how much I could get a P Replacement neck for :D

17. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    DM, that could be interesting. For some reason I've seen a few Modulus J's locally, more than usual.

I hope nobody got the impression that I'm trying to discourage them from doing something like this...it can be fun.

18. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    DM,

I sent you an email with a few questions. Please email me directly at vintgebass@aol.com or call me at (707) 546-3833.

Steve Barr

19. chance6245

chance6245

Sep 25, 2000