1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Graphite neck on a MIM jazz bass

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Sharpie555, Oct 30, 2010.

1. Sharpie555

Sharpie555

Nov 27, 2007
  2. Big chicken

Big chicken

May 25, 2010
    In Space
  3. Sharpie555

Sharpie555

Nov 27, 2007
  4. blastjv

blastjv

Jan 8, 2010
    Philly Area
    I absolutely love my Moses neck. I, too have read the horror stories, but mine has been solid, has the nicest shape (for my hand) of any bass neck I've EVER played, sounds fantastic, and is VERY stable (almost NEVER need to retune).

-JV

5. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    Yes, but you'd need to add tuners and strings and put it together. FYI there's a loaded jazz body and Moses neck in the classifieds.

I've owned a Moses necked MIM jazz and it was a pretty good bass. After I got some neck mounting issues sorted it was a very good bass. Excellent sustain and balance and a "rich" tone. .

6. garmenteros

garmenteros Bass Enthusiast Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2008
    Dominican Republic
    My custom 5 string jazz bass has a moses neck that is to die for. Perfect in everyway. No bubbles like some people had troubles with and they did a 35 scale (90 dollar upcharge) and extra fret (about another 80 dollars) and mother of pearl inlays (200 bucls extra). Worth every penny. There are no dead spots. The bass is very precise and clear. I've never had to adjust the truss rod, the action isn't dead low but I don't like it that way either. I'm sure I could lower it some tweaking the neck and bridge. Anyways a little moses pics...

Defrente.
    DSC_3291.
    DSC_3285.

You can't go wrong with a moses neck and like you can see on my bass above, do custom options for you. I tried the people over at status to do a custom 35 scale J and they said they didn't they dont do 35 scale on any of their replacement necks or 5 string js. I've heard nothing but good things from status but they are a bit more expensive than moses as well.

7. mysteryclock

mysteryclock Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Franklin, TN
    +1 for Moses. I have two headless Moses-necked instruments (below) and both have extremely stable tuning and positional stability. I have not had to have a setup done in (literally) years and they still play perfectly buzz-free & in-tune!

Now that's not to say that the Status necks aren't lovely... they are fantastic! But their tone will be much closer to a... well, Status - or all-graphite Modulus. If mine are any indication, Moses neck tone will be more like a Modulus/wood hybrid - totally even, no dead spots but still having "character" and breadth of tone.

8. Sharpie555

Sharpie555

Nov 27, 2007
    thanks everyone for the input, i think i have found a jazz bass on ebay that i like and i will be getting a moses neck in a few paychecks,

my last question is how difficult is the install? between me and my dad we have basic to moderate carpentry skills and a power drill, is that enough?

9. ThrashMaster

ThrashMaster

Jul 7, 2010
    Boston, MA
    youll need bits (obviously)...you can pick up a machinests drill index at harbot freight for dirt cheap, and theyre good enough for hobbyist use.

youll need a countersick or deburring tool

some clamps etc to hold everything in place

set of center punches would be nice

10. blastjv

blastjv

Jan 8, 2010
    Philly Area
    DIY i's a way of life for me...but that's one thing I think I'd leave to an expert...at least then if he screws up your expensive new neck it's on him to replace it...

Mine already had the inserts installed...bought it 'used'

-JV