graphite neck on a sterling?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mental Octopus, Feb 2, 2006.

1. Mental Octopus

Mental Octopus

May 24, 2003
    I found out that Moses Graphite has a neck for MusicMan Sterlings. Thinking of putting one on because I am always busy and I have had to adjust my sterling quite more often than i'd like to...and I'm also slightly missing the sound of my long gone flea bass.

Has anyone tried these out and have any thoughts on their sound, feel, etc? I hear those suckers are heavy, any truth to this and a ballpark weight?
  2. Tryxx

Tryxx Sputnik Forums: Bass Mod

Jun 1, 2005
    Hurst, Texas.
    They're pretty light actually. Status has one as well(for the Stingray at least), and I've heard Moses has some quality control issues.

If the pocket is the same it'll work. You drill your own holes for the joint.
    EDIT: For the Status I mean.
  3. 62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I bought a Moses graphite relacement neck for a Stingray some years ago. All in all, it was a decent neck. never warped or required adjustment once set up. The sound did change to a greater emphasis on high end and increased fret noise, but I was able to dial that out with EQ. Installation was easy enough for someone with experience. You really should have a drill press to correctly drill thye holes for the threaded insert. You can do it with a hand held drill but it would be easy to mess it up.

One thing-the frets needed a lot of levelling before I got it buzz free. The fret ends were fine though-well roun ded and comfortable.

I recently installed a moses neck on a G and L for a friend. It was about the same quality.
  4. Mental Octopus

Mental Octopus

May 24, 2003
    sounds pretty hit or miss...i'll have to think about it.

i wish status made something for the sterling...
  5. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    I have owned my Stingray for less than 12 months and had to adjust the neck 3 times. Rickenbacker gets adjusted maybe once every 12 months. Had my MIM Jazz two years and never had to touch the truss rod. Go figure, as they say in the US.

I guess I'm known on TB for my love of Status graphite necks (and my S2 bass)! Are you sure the Status Stingray neck won't fit your Sterling? Are the neck pockets different?
  6. Mental Octopus

Mental Octopus

May 24, 2003
    I am pretty sure that the pockets are different from what I remember, but I also want the skinnier sterling neck instead of the bigger stingray one.
  7. Hmm, my Sterling (97) has been shipped across the atlantic from US to Sweden, and I have never touched the truss rod once?! And yes I do have a nice and low action, actually I used to have it even lower.. but my playing style didnt allow for ultra low action. :bassist:

(bought it unused from a private person who didnt play bass.. or tinker the truss rod)
  8. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    I had one on my Sterling after the neck twisted. I sold it to get some other stuff and really wish I had it back. It was heavy but played and sounded much nicer - beefed up the bottom end, added a nice sparkle to the top, and still kept the characteristic sound of the bass. It definitely sounds like the flea bass.

I liked it enough that I'd definitely build a Moses necked Jazz in the future, but I don't think I would replace the neck on a perfectly good musicman. I'd recommend selling it and building a Warmoth bodied bass with an MM pickup instead.
  9. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Were you changing string gauge?
  10. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    No change to strings. Neck responding to seasonal changes in temperature/humidity, I suppose, or maybe just "settling" on a new bass - different pieces of wood react different ways. Not really a problem as the neck is so easy to adjust. I don't touch a truss rod unless I have to as a general rule, but this was a classic case of too little relief causing buzz on the lower frets.
  11. go find a peavey g bass. if you have to, replace the pickup in it. i don't think the neck is interchangeable, but it's even more a win if it is. also, the g bass is pretty easy to sell if it's not your thing.

12. Mental Octopus

Mental Octopus

May 24, 2003
    thanks for all the replies.

yeah, the sterling neck is somewhat problematic because i have to adjust it every few days...since i would have to purchase an EB neck to replace i figured i would treat myself to graphite so i wouldn't have to adjust it so frequently. so it's not like im replacing a perfectly suitable neck, because to me it isn't.

so i talked to rob from status, and he said that he could make me a stingray neck with a thinner nut width. would be a huge upcharge and it still won't fit the sterling, so that's out of the question.

i have read through numerous threads that concern moses, and i just finished reading through hambone's horror story and how awful the customer service was. moses is exactly what i want, but i'm reluctant to pull the trigger on one simply because the reviews are so mixed.
  13. Mental Octopus

Mental Octopus

May 24, 2003
    Was the neck you had an accurate Sterling copy? I inquired to Steve about the dimensions and profile because I can't seem to find it on his website...and I hope it's not a Stingray sized neck made to fit a Sterling pocket.
  14. 62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I had no problems with Moses customer service. When my Stingray neck arrived there was a blemish in the finish. I called Steve and he offered to replace it. I suggested I try sanding it out and polishing and he said if it didn't work he'd take it back. It worked.

My EB Stingray neck, while very beautiful, would mirror every slight change in humidity. I flew from Toronto to Oklahoma one spring with it. The day after arrival the strings were flat against the fingerboard. I spent some time adjusting the trussroad and got it playable. The day after I returned to Toronto the strings were 3/8 inch off the 12th fret.

The graphite neck from Moses didn't budge a bit and it would stay in tune for weeks if I didn't hit a tuning peg against anything. I wouldn't say there was any improvement in tone. Just a slight increase in the upper end and possibly more sustain. It fit the neck pocket perfectly. I had to do a good fret dress though. I sold it along with the original neck after a year. i never really liked the Stingray sound for what I did. The original was a different instrument. Much better I thought.