Graphite Neck or Maple neck on SR5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bassstud1, Nov 2, 2002.

1. Bassstud1

Bassstud1 Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2001
    LaPorte Indiana USA
    I'm buying another neck for my SR5.

I prefer the sound of a maple neck over a rosewood neck, it seems a little brighter than a rosewood neck IMO

The idea of a MOSES graphite neck really seems great.

Question: Is the MOSES neck going to give me a sound closer to maple or closer to rosewood.

I've looked at other threads and what I'm getting is that graphite is more of a clean sound than a bright sound.

Any input is greatly accepted. THANKS
  2. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    I've got a Moses graphite neck being made as we speak. If you can hold out for 2-3 weeks I'll give you an A/B comparison after it arrives. It's going to go on a 5-string Warmoth walnut body. Steve is a great guy and really seems to know his stuff. You've may have already read it but there's a really informative article/interview (one on one) with Steve located at Bunnybass.
  3. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Warwick5S put a Moses graphite neck on his Sterling, which is pretty close to the same bass as your 'Ray 5.

I am sure he will chime in here.
  4. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA

allrighty, yeah i had a moses neck i had got off ebay put onto my sterling. it was HEAVY and had a fender headstock, but man was that thing a player. action was ridiculously low, frets were perfect, and the neck was the slimmist neck i've ever played.

it actually warmed the bass up a bit, but it still had a ton of clarity. lots of growl and punch to the notes too. i'd say it would be somewhere in between an all maple neck, and a heavy slab of wood like wenge/ebony.

i plan on building up a fender jazz with a moses neck, because i liked the one on my sterling so much. but...i wanted a warwick fretless more so that's why i don't have it any more.
  5. Bassstud1

Bassstud1 Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2001
    LaPorte Indiana USA
    That does it I'm placing an order today with MF for my Moses neck. Thanks again for all of your input.
  6. I went to the local music store in my city, and there was a bass that has the cheap look, but the neck says moses, i asked for the price and its US150 dollars!!! If i only had the money.... :(
    (these guys don't know what they are selling, that's the advantage of living in south america)
    It also has peavey pickups, and it's used.
    And heavy as hell!!!!
  7. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    A good friend of mine (and fellow TB'er) just took his graphite neck off, and put the original back on his stingray 5. This guy is great to deal with, and takes superb care of his equipment. Drop him an email to see if he would be interested in selling it, he will make ya a great deal, if he wants to sell. Contact him at Tell him Tim sent ya.