Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Graphite necks...gut oder schleckt?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BASSnSAX, Aug 19, 2001.

1. I'm an idiot...oh well you don't learn if you don't ask soooo....

ARE GRAPHITE NECKS GOOD? What are the pros/cons of them? Are they good for Metal/Hard Rock?

2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Schlecht, you mean "Schleckt" would mean "licked".

The great thing about graphite necks is that they're not susceptible to climate changes.. Some people find them cold sounding compared to wooden necked instruments.

Metal? Sure. I love Zon basses, some will swear by Modulus. You gotta go out and see what works for you.

BTW, all materials are good for all styles if the player's good enough.

3. Good point, BigWheel.

4. Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2001
    Graphite necks are not supposed to warp, and do not have dead spots as well.

A good compromise would be wooden necks that are graphite reinforced - you get qualities of graphite with the "warmth" of wood.

5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    A graphite doesn't necessarily sound cold and surely doesn't feel that way (Feels as warm as a maple neck IMO). That's mostly hearsay by people who never actually played one.
    John McLaughlin bassist Kai Eckhardt was able to get warm fretless-like tones out of his Clover 5-string headless graphite when he played in McLaughlin's trio.

Of course, when you compare a graphite with a Fender Jazz it's colder. But not only because of the graphite but also because of the soft neck of the Fender. You compare extreme opposites here!

A well-designed graphite sounds as good and natural as a modern wood bass with a hard neck.

Pros IME: No deadspots, better tone, faster attack (maybe that added to the 'cold' image, more stable.

Cons: more expensive, limited model variety.

6. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    Keine Ahnung, schlecht oder schleckt. :eek:

Manchmal ist Graphit besser als Holz. Sehr starker dauerhafter Hals. Am besten für gigging. Aber nicht viel Gefühl.

7. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I'm really surprised how many people here have German :)

Also, ich finde Graphithälse einfach geil, spielt mal einen Jens Ritter Bass oder einen Clover Avenger, dann wisst Ihr, was ich meine ;)
    Schlecht sind die nicht...

Schleckt meinen Hintern heisst 'lick my...' :D

www.ritter-basses.de