Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

graphite necks. who makes em and how much?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by instigata, Mar 16, 2006.

1. instigata

instigata

Feb 24, 2006
    New Jersey
    for my first custom bass build (which i'm doing myself), i really don't want to make the neck myself. and since those CF necks are so damn awesome and seem like a breeze to install and setup, i was thinking I may get one.

who makes em and how much?

2. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005

ive seen "moses" graphite ones for around £200

3. instigata

instigata

Feb 24, 2006
    New Jersey
    yea, i just stumbled upon their site. looks like a nice deal.

i also found modulus sells their necks as replacements. list at 700 dollars!!!

yea, i'll pass. as cool as their "thousand ladies dancing" layer on the back looks.

status also makes em...

status is like... 400 ish.

4. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I put a Moses neck on a Stingray of mine. It was a decent neck. I wouldn't call it much of an improvement soundwise. A bit more even overall, slightly more top end.

It was easy enough to install but not as easy as a wood neck. You can't use wood screws on graphite. You need to install threaded inserts for machine bolts. Moses sells bolts, inserts and instructions with theirs. It's best to have a drill press to drill the neck holes. You only get one chance to get it right. I did mine without much trouble.

The Moses frets are good and well rounded on the ends. But if you want low action you'll have to do some fret leveling. He admits as much himself.

The main advantage of the graphite neck was tuning stability. Unless I banged a tuning peg, I rarely had to tune. Climate and temperature changes barely affected it. Actually only extreme temperature changes would slightly throw it out.

I spent over $500 Canadian for mine but I had to pay for shipping and our dollar was weaker then.

I sold that bass some time ago. I never really liked the EB Stingray that much.

The Moses is a decent quality product and you should pay less than I did for one. I haven't bought a Modulus neck. They are very expensive. I know nothing about Status necks.

Myself, I wouldn't buy another all graphite neck again. Just not worth the money to me.

5. instigata

instigata

Feb 24, 2006
    New Jersey
    thanks for your experience

i'll look into this action thing. fretleveling is not at all a problem, anyway. considering its either graphite or i build my own neck. i'll take some fret leveling any day. and a drill press is available. along with every other tool imaginable. i'm carving my own body.

6. paul n

paul n

May 6, 2005
    Arden, NC
    I've heard some negative reviews of Mosses Graphite necks, probelms with drilling for the neck bolts I think. There's also Status Graphite in the UK, who make necks with licensed Fender and Music Man headstocks (Modulus necks use the Flea style headstock). Status is (last time I checked) a bit less than Modulus. Also Status are the folks who made John Entwisles finnal buzzard basses, they're very good at waht they do.

Keep in mind that making a graphite neck isn't a simple process. They don't just pop them out of a mold, the sheets of graphite have to layed out by hand (with the grain of each layer going in a different direction). Between each layer is a layer or resin. If things don't go 100% correctly, the neck can cave in (John entwistle had that happen with one of the first two Status Buzzards he recieved). I seem to rember they loose a decent percentage of ever batch of necks (for the all graphite Buzzards, its something one in five is usable, necks are more succesfull).

Persoanaly, I really like the look of Status' woven graphite sheets under the clearcoat as oposed to Modulus' "dancing ladies". I seem to remember, that the Moses stuff is just charcoal grey.

Moses to me, fall a bit too close to the old "too good to be true" line. Just too cheep for they are supposed to be. Spend a bit more and get the Status. Modulus, well, I havn't heard great things about their customer service, but I can't back that up, just a vague memory.

My 2-cents

~Paul :)

7. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    Certainly, any company can turn out a dog every once in a while.

My Moses had a slight cosmetic blemish on the back of the neck when I got it. I called Steve at Moses and he offered to replace it free of charge. I opted to sand it out and polish it myself, rather than wait for a new one. It worked fine.

I can't see the problem drilling holes for the inserts on a Moses neck if you use the right tools. I use a good quality brad point drill with a drill press. Cheap twist bits, which are made for drilling metal, leave too ragged a hole and not always the right diameter.

Buy a few extra threaded inserts and practice installing them on a scrap of maple.

Like I said, I had no problems with installing mine, but I've had a lot of experience at it.

For me, there is no real advantage to a graphite neck over a good quality wooden one. Slight difference in sound but not enough to make a difference at gig volumes with a group playing live. Recording, nobody other than myself noticed any difference and it was slight and in the end, once the bass was mixed at the proper level, it made no difference at all. The wood necks feel better to play on for me. Just a tactile thing.

If you go out and play a few Modulus basses in stores you'll get an idea of their quality and if the extra cost is justified.

The Moses by the way has an adjustable truss rod. I never had to adjust it again once I set it up after instalation.

8. bigcatJC

bigcatJC

Jul 9, 2004
    I have 2 basses with Moses necks, and I recommend them highly. When I added the Moses to my MIJ Jazz, the tone improved all around - brighter, deeper, and more present in the low-midrange. Even my singer noticed a difference!

I can't comment on fret-levelling and low action, b/c both of my Moses necks are fretless. However, the action on both are very low when I want them to be.

I've never had any issues with quality or reliability. Weather and humidity have no effect. I've heard stories about Moses necks warping in sunlight, but it's never happened to me.

The only negative I can think of after 9 or so years using Moses would be the weight. My Jazz is more neck-heavy than it was, but not badly. It's just something to consider.