Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Graphite Necks

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mnelson, Aug 5, 2001.

1. mnelson

mnelson

Aug 5, 2001
    Hi all,

New to this site. Seems pretty cool. I'm thinking about putting a Moses graphite neck on a 70's era P-Bass. I'm wondering how this may throw the weight balance off. Any stories out there?

I would also love to hear any other opinions regarding this type of mod.

Thanks!

Mike

2. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    i played a fender jazz with a graphite neck the other day at mars music. WoW! It was real cool. I did have a definate different sound, not better, just different. I know looks don't amount to a whole lot but they were real cool looking. I'm thinking about getting one now for my stingray. The only 2 companies that i can find that make them are status and moses. They both "LIST" for about $400. This seems a little steep to me and i was wondering where else, if any, you could buy them cheaper. How much do they come down on the list price?

3. mnelson

mnelson

Aug 5, 2001
    Sounds like a cool bass.

Did the weight distribution feel strange? I know graphite can be quite heavy and was wondering how the balance felt to you.

Mike

4. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    no no no i'm pretty sure if anything graphite is lighter. if anything it would be body heavy i think. when i played it i was sitting down but it seemed balanced to me. it was a very smooth neck. the graphite necks also don't have a truss rod so that makes them lighter also. i always thought graphite was much lighter than wood but if your right, the diference wasn't much.

5. mnelson

mnelson

Aug 5, 2001
    Great feedback. Thanks!

Mike

6. Graphite is a lot lighter than real wood (one of the main reasons a lot of Tennis players use Graphite Raquets instead of Wood, that and the fact Graphite is more durable)... I've never really noticed in a bass however that a graphite neck has been any noticably lighter than a wood neck, to throw off the balance. I also echo what hyper says, graphite has a definatly different sound, some people like it, some don't.. make sure you decide if you like it, before you put $400 in to it!

7. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    From what I hear (and DarkMazda can probably back this up), the Moses necks are REALLY heavy compared to other graphite necks, like Zon, Modulus, and Status.

8. mnelson,

Your old Fender is worth more as is. I did what you did - put a Moses graphite neck bass on a Fender Precision and was not happy. I took it to 2 luthiers AND sent it to Moses for set up problems, and no one got it right!

"Project" basses are usually the most valuable to the person who does the "project." You take a major bath on resale.

BTW, I own 2 Zon basses and couldn't be happier with them.

9. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    Thanks for the heads up Angus..

I've owned a Warmoth Custom J Bass with a Moses Graphite P Bass neck on it. Yes, it is VERY heavy and dense.. its not hollow compared to Zon or Modulus. It had a great sound.. but I wouldn't trust it over Modulus or Zon. They are pretty heavy. Especially with the northern ash wood body that it had! That thing weighed as much as my Warwick SSI 5!! :eek: but yeah, If you have the chance, go with Modulus Necks. I think they cost ALOT more but I think their necks are MUCH more comfortable to play and much well made! (more flat, and better construction)

Good luck! :D

10. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    I dont think changing to a graphite neck will throw off the balance. I think that basses with graphite necks are easier to play.

11. I would take a look at the Stewart Macdonald catolog before i bought it from any where. All the stuff you'll see in his catolog to me is very high quality, I bought nuts,bridges,and pick-ups there and my friend bought a body and they were flawless,they arrived at prefect condition as well.

12. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    yes stew mac is a good magazine. NO stewmac doesn't sell graphite necks. Yes this is what this post is about.