Graphite reinforced necks in MIAs--what year?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rjg, Nov 1, 2002.

1. Can anyone tell me what year Fender started using graphite reinforcement in their MIA necks?
  2. Any chance of getting an answer to this sometime soon? 12 people have looked at it--I need the answer before I make a purchase.
  3. madskillz

Sep 20, 2002
    I have a 1997 MIA P-Bass and it has a graphite neck. I also have a 1999 MIA J-Bass with graphite. I think they started in 1995. Hope this helps.
  4. Herrmojo

Oct 24, 2002
    I have a 1995 MIA Pbass deluxe that has graphite reinforcement bars. It's the first year that particular bass was made. I just looked at the 1995 Guitar and Bass Buyers guide, and the MIA fender basses all had GR. Earlier, I couldn't tell you, You might try Fenders customer service.
  5. Thanks--that's what I needed to know.
  6. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    I'm fairly certain Fender started with the graphite reinforcement in 1995.
  7. Well, I was looking at a '99 on eBay, but I asked the guy some pretty specific questions, and he just replied the same way he had when I made an initial inquiry--that the bass was "mint". Given the graphite reinforcement, I would think the neck problems I'm having with my MIJ wouldn't be an issue.

But, his terse reply has given me pause. I think I'm going to pass, though visually I'm in love.
  8. If ya wanna get technical with that guy, 'mint' would mean it had never been played or touched. Somehow I doubt this is the case. I think I'd be apprehensive too if the seller wasn't forthcoming with information. I think you're wise to pass on this one, there's plenty of other MIA fish in the sea.
  9. Yeah, I hear you.

Most troubling was that he wouldn't even answer me as to why he was selling it or whether or not he would send it UPS and provide me with a tracking number. Maybe the more technical questions were beyond him, but these two seem easy enough to answer.

It's too bad; natural swamp ash body with a maple neck--exactly what I've been looking for. Sigh.