Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

graphite reinforced necks v wood necks v all-graphite neck

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by steviecsg, Aug 23, 2003.

1. steviecsg

steviecsg

Aug 16, 2002
    can anyone tell the difference between a bass with a graphite reinforced neck, normal wood neck and a bass with an all graphite neck based purely on the tone of the bass?

assuming that you are blindfolded and ask to identify these basses based on tone alone.

2. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

I don't know about blindfolded, but I've played a Modulus Q5, Modulus Flea and then a Modulus Genesis 5 back to back to back. I know that they are 3 different basses, but I really liked the sound of the Genesis the most. That's the one with the Graphite reinforced neck compared to all graphite. Just my two Lincolns.

3. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Outside of neck profiles no. I cannot tell a real difference.

4. steviecsg

steviecsg

Aug 16, 2002
    by listening alone, i can pick out the full-graphite neck.

but i cant tell the diff between the wood neck and graphite reinforced wood neck.

So assuming there is no diff in tone and feel between a wood neck and a graphite reinforced neck, if the sole purpose of a graphite reinforced neck is to reduce dead spots and warpage, doesn't this make graphite reinforced necks superior to wood necks?

5. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    IME, the Modulus Quantum neck has a distinctive sound that is pretty identifiable (given clean enough amplification).

Zon basses' graphite necks have a woodier sound that would be harder to differientate from wood necks.

Those are the only one's I've played.

I guess there are other types of graphite composite necks that might be similar enough to the Zon's woody sound to make it hard to tell if it's wood or not, for instance Moses' Diamondwood necks.

So I guess the answer to your question is sometimes 'yes' and sometimes 'no'.

6. ingmar

ingmar

Oct 14, 2002
    Normandy, France
    I play a Trace Elliot T-Bass (Status made) wich has a graphite reinforced neck, and it sounds like wood to me. A pure graphite neck tone is easy to recognise in my opinion.

7. Bassmanbob

Hello!!! Gard!!! Where are you???!!! We need input on graphite (or as you call them composite) necks. Please check in Mr. Lover of all things Zon.

8. steviecsg

steviecsg

Aug 16, 2002
    Same here, I too own a trace elliot t bass 5 made by status. can't tell that it's graphite reinforced. same thing goes with fender american deluxe.

I owned a status empathy 5 for a couple of months: that's where i learnt to associate the 'graphite' neck sound to.

9. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    OK OK OK Doc Bob -

Graphite/composite reinforced necks don't really sound any different to my ears than a similar or identical wood neck (i.e. maple = maple w/graphite reinforcement, wenge = wenge w/graphite reinforcement). I haven't made a serious comparison for dead spots, but I would imagine it helps, but doesn't eliminate them completely.

Composite necks (they really aren't JUST graphite! ;) ) are as varied in tone as wood necks. The different recipes that the makers use have different tonal qualities, just as different woods do. The consistencies I have noticed are evenness of response (i.e. no dead notes - USUALLY - not always), and incredible stability. That said a Zon neck sounds as different from a Modulus neck as a maple neck sounds different from a wenge one.

There is no "better", only different. I use basses with all three construction methods, each has it's strengths tonally.

Those that know me know my preferences. ;)

...leave the gun, take the cannoli. (Inside joke for Bob :D)

10. Bassmanbob

OK Clamenza

11. I thought part of the point of composite necks and to a lesser extent graphite reinforced necks was to reduce the risk of humidity messing up your favoured bass?
    They are also in general stronger so the design of the bass can have bigger cutaways for better upper fret access or smaller heels. If they sound the same or similar to wood isn't that better for the advantages they offer?