1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Graphite Reinforcements Importance - G&L Basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ChetChetney, Jul 24, 2012.

1. ChetChetney

ChetChetney

Apr 25, 2012
    Oklahoma City
    Ok, I have been longing for a Jazz or P style bass that is reasonably priced. I currently play a Lakland 55-94, and love it, I especially love the rigidity of the graphite reinforced neck; it is stable as granite and is unaffected by seasonality.

So, I have been looking into G&L basses, I hear great things. But will their lack of reinforced necks have negative implications on their playability? If so, am I better off getting an American Standard Fender or some other reinforced neck? I am curious to hear your answers...

2. PDGood

PDGood Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    There are a lot of great necks that don't have graphite re-inforcement. That's just one tool in the arsenal. Using multiple woods laminated adds strength, wood type is important, grain direction, how the wood is sawn and how it is seasoned and thickness of the neck all play a role.

3. It depends on the climate really. In my opinion, a graphite reinforced neck has nothing to do with playability, the only difference I noticed with my American Standard was that I never had to tweak the truss rod due to weather changes.

I live in a house with poor/no insulation and no climate control, in a city with a cold, dry winter and a hot, humid summer, so the seasonal changes cause me to have to adjust the truss rod every couple of months on my basses without graphite rods, but whenever I'd check the Fender it would be right where I left it, and I'm anal about that adjustment, if it's greater or less than .015" of an inch at the 9th fret (8th if a 24 fret board) by .002" it gets adjusted.

If you're less anal about that than I am, or your climate is more steady, or you live in a well controlled area, then I wouldn't worry about it.

4. ChetChetney

ChetChetney

Apr 25, 2012
    Oklahoma City
    Thanks for the advice, but I live in Fort Worth Texas, which is prone to sudden temperature and humidity fluctuations. So I am also rather particular about my setup. So, it sounds like a flat sawn G&L might not be the neck for me. It might be better if I get one with a quarter sawn neck though...

5. I live in Alaska whene we have extremes in temperature and humidity and have a L-2500 from 2001 with bi-cut neck and it's as stable , if not more stable than my basses with graphite reinforcements. It's more about the woods used than the graphite, I've seen some crap reinforced necks. I also have an 80s El-Tore with a great neck. Try a couple and scope them out, the USA basses seem very consistent.

6. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    i live in LA, and both my fender 2009 reinforced and my 1993 fender non reinforced have shifted around a little since the winter, however the neck on my 2011 usa sb-2 hasn't shifted around at all

7. bassfootballguy

bassfootballguy Spectacularly Average Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    A small, small town
    My 2010 SB-1 never seems to move. Very stable indeed. I have a recent model L2000 that does not seem to move much either and I am in a very humid climate with quickly changing temperatures.

8. ChetChetney

ChetChetney

Apr 25, 2012
    Oklahoma City
    Hmm, interesting. I am really digging the JB and if they are stable as everyone says I may just settle on one, soon!!!