Graphite replacement neck on an OLP MM2?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by xcental34x, Nov 6, 2003.

1. xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    I've had an awesome idea the past day of getting an OLP and modding it with a Graphite neck and replacement pickup and preamp. I've looked at Status and Moses MM replacements so far. The Status looks awesome, but is $150 more.

Can anyone tell me what the neckplace configuration on an OLP is? 4 or 6 screw? Would a graphite neck fit on it. My reasoning for the graphite neck is because I've been thinking how much I loved the feel of the Flea Bass neck and how it sounded.

Also, for a replacement pickup and preamp, doesnt Duncan make a 2EQ preamp that would fit in ther? Are there any on the market that nail the Stingray sound?

2. Once you do all that, you'll have spent enough to buy a used Flea Bass!:D
  3. ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
    Exactly what I was thinking...
  4. xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Not necessarily. This'll take me somewhere betweem 700-800. Used Fleas go between 1000-1200.

5. cods

Sep 16, 2003
    you can get a used stingray for $800.
  6. xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    I have a Stingray. I want to mod an OLP to have as another bass. Can someone give me some answers instead of alternatives.

7. odie

odie Supporting Member

Well you dont give us the impression that you had an OLP already.

In your first post you asked if the neck on the OLP was four or six bolt. If you had one in your possession you would know if it was 4 or 6. Just look right??!!:rolleyes:

Also the feel of the Flea bass is different than a Moses replacement. Different necks, different brands. But you knew that already, right?!

You say you like the Flea bass sound, but on the other hand you want a Stingray sound.

Well they are both very different....which do you want??

You have the answers yourself....look and see how many bolts it has then contact Moses for the dimensions.
  8. xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    I do not have an OLP yet. I want one to mod for the sake of modding it. The Flea Bass is designed from the Stingray. Same concept, except a Graphite neck, pick up and preamp designs.

A graphite neck has a distinct effect on the sound which is what I'm seeking. Almost like a cling. I would more likely get that sound from a Graphite neck, wether it be Modulus or Moses, than I would with a typical maple neck, correct?

So don't argue with me on this. Everytime I have an idea for a mod project, everyone refuses to give input into how to improve it, but criticizes me for wanting to mod it.

9. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    as a fellow memphian i am goin to try to put it to you as bluntly as posssible.

the people here are trying to help you not waste your money. the olps aren't that great of even a starting point and you would be putting 500 bucks or so into a bass that isnt worth modding. you sounds is only going to be as good as the weekest link in your chain. if you want to flush the cash, fine, but please dont jump people and cop an attitude for trying to stop you from making a "seems like a good idea" mistake. as a matter of fact, go over to martin music, ask for stacy or zach, tell em big jon sent you, and tell them ur idea. there an unbiased opinion.
  10. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Used OLPs go for crap, regardless of what modifications done to it (unless you are using knobs made of diamonds or something like that). You'll never get out of the bass, nearly what you put into it when you sell it. But it shouldn't matter if you are planning to keep it forever. It's your money, do with it as you wish.

The OLPs have a 4 bolt neck. I imagine they are a similar neck pocket to a MM or P bass. I would get measurements of the neck pocket and talk to the people at Moses or Status to get you the right neck that will fit. Also keep in mind that because the neck is graphite, installing it would be different than a neck made of wood. I don't know if standard screws would work, or if you need a certain drill bit to use on graphite, or if they use alternative installation method.

I don't know for sure if the control cavity has enough room for a 2 band preamp. Once again, get some measurements and talk to someone at Seymour Duncan, or Bartolini or whatever. I believe the Flea bass features a Bartolini pickup and preamp. The Bartolini Preamps are fairly large and need a decent sized cavity for installation. In my opinion there is more to the Stingray sound than pickups and preamp. It's the beefy neck, the 6 bolt joint, string through body, heavy bridge, and ash/alder body as well asthe MM pickup that gives it it's sound. But, I've heard people rave about OLPs with a SD pickup in it. I've also heard of someone who put the old one back in because they thought it sounded better than the Seymour Duncan.
  11. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    People buy OLPs so they DON'T have to spend 800 bucks for a used Stingray.

If you end up spending 800 bucks for an OLP non-Stingray, what makes you think you made a wise decision?!

In order to get a Flea Bass sound, you would need a bass body made from the same type of wood as the Flea bass to begin with, wouldn't you? I mean, the same electronics and neck as a Flea Bass would only get you halfway there, thus you will have spent that money for naught.

I bought a Dillion 5-string Stingray copy, not because I wanted to mod it to the point where I would eventually spend as much as I would have for a Stingray, but because it was so cheap.

The ONLY mod I may do to it is to upgrade the pickup, and ONLY then if I can get one cheap enough and do it myself.

Please forgive us for not helping as you would like - it's just that, any way it's sliced, few of us can logically grasp this idea enough to be able to relate to it.
  12. xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Thanks Jive. You've actually helped me. I dont plan on selling any bass I ever buy. I refuse to sell my modded MIM Jazz simply because it is a bass of my own. That would go for this one too.

Jon, I know Stacy and Zach pretty well at Martin. I used to go in there everyday when I had some time to kill. But Stacy is there no longer. Just Zach now.

I don't buy the whole sound comes from wood theories. Theorectically it makes no sense to me. The sound comes from the strings and electronics. The wood can effect the sustain and such, but I don't agree with the tone theories.

Flea basses very with electronics. Some use Bartolini, some use Aguilar, others Basslines. The one I tried at Martin Music was a Basslines pickup with Bartolini preamp.

13. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    It should also be noted that one company's "graphite" neck is not going to be the same as another company's "graphite" neck.

A Status graphite neck is not going to sound like a Modulus graphite neck. A Moses graphite neck is not going to sound like a Modulus graphite neck. They each use their own formula to create their products. Just because they are both called graphite doesn't mean they are going to have the same mass/weight/resonant frequency/etc.

An OLP body (Poplar?Agathis?Basswood?) will not resonate the same way as the body of a Flea bass, either.

So, while your "poor man's flea bass" sounds good on paper, you will probably find that it sounds very little like the real flea bass at the end of the day, and you'll be left with a bunch of parts that will be worth about 60% (if you're lucky) of what you paid for them.

You could very well be happy with what you end up with, but if your goal is to have a Flea bass, this isn't the way to go about it. At the end of the day, all the OLP bass has in common with the MM stuff is the body shape. And, I doubt very seriously that is a good starting point.
  14. xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    I'm not aiming for a Flea Bass, I was merely inspired to mod an OLP with a graphite next by the Flea Bass.

I noted the difference in necks earlier, with my comment about graphite necks having certain charactersitcs to their sound, and I will get that sound from any grapite neck more likely than I would with a standard wood neck.

BTW, the OLP is made of elm.

15. patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    If it's any support for you, I say go for it.

If you've got the $, the time, and willing to put the work into it (and it seems you have all 3 things), that's all you need. Some basses are destined to sound like crap because of neglect or misuse, but most people forget that what makes 97% of basses (good or bad) sound great is the skill in the hands.

This is just IMO, my ¥2, $.05, etc, but always concerning oneself with 'resale' value of a bass while playing/practicing detracts from finding the actual potential the instrument has. Play the bass, don't appraise it.