Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Graphite

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by D. Funkalicious, Sep 26, 2002.

1. D. Funkalicious

D. Funkalicious

Sep 22, 2002
    Out of plain curiousity, is anyone using a graphite, or other composite bow? I was in a string shop the other day and asked to see what they had in bows. The owner pulls out a Glasser composite. Normally, I'm not a big fan of the Glasser line, but this was a magnificent bow. Completely black with mother of pearl inlays. It also had a nice weight and balance. However, I didn't get a chance to use it on a bass-the $600 price tag kinda brought me back into reality in a hurry. I'm interested in hearing how a composite bow sounds on a bass from people who have used them.

2. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    I use a carbon fiber Grunberger. Very nice bow, great, consistant tone.

3. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    There's a difference between the Glasser composite and the graphite; the former is a mix of graphite and fiberglass, while the latter is all carbon. I don't think the street price for an all-graphite should be $600, though. I seem to recall prices in the low $400s.

The consistency and strength of the stuff (as well as the cost) are attractive. Graphite and composite bows would be the only bows I'd consider buying sight unseen.

4. D. Funkalicious

D. Funkalicious

Sep 22, 2002
    Thanks for replying. I thought the concept of a composite/graphite bow was really appealing. Unfortunately, I have to make a few other purchases first (an adjustable bridge springs to mind quickly), but Christmas is coming....

5. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Mine was in the $900 range.

6. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    An Arcus or similar bow will be up there. A Glasser, on the other hand...

7. D. Funkalicious

D. Funkalicious

Sep 22, 2002
    Pray for my soul. I had to stoop to new depths yesterday. As much as I convinced myself that I never had to use a Glasser again, I had to buy one yesterday out of absolute necessity. I feel so very cheap....

8. Any opinions on whether a composite or carbon fiber bow is better for the money than wood?

I would guess that these bows should be more consistent quality wise.

Is it the case that a better wood bow can be found at the same price if I look long enough?

Thanks,
    Dave

9. sean p

sean p

Mar 7, 2002
    eugene, oregon
    dave,

i know some guys like carbon bows cuz they're more durable - not as likely to break in gigs where this could be an issue, like a bar. or maybe they're better off after getting beer spilled on them. :) this must add something to the 'value' of them monetarily, but i can't tell you how they stack up in terms of bang for the buck.

sean p

10. Baron von Basso

Baron von Basso

Nov 3, 2002
    I was trying a few $1700 wood bows when somebody walked in that happened to have a carbon fiber bow by CF Durro. Although it was a little harder to get to bounce and do some of the tricks, it sounded better than the $1700 bows and it was only $420. I think that they are a wonderful compromise for those of us that can't scrape together the cash for some of these wooded ones.

I have sort of outgrown it though. I am looking for a good wooden bow that responds better than this Durro bow. That may just be a problem with this maker though.

Speaking of...I am trying to figure out how I have a big crack in this "virtually indestructable" bow. Has anybody else had a carbon fiber bow crack? If so, any nifty tricks for repairing it?

11. A bit off topic but i ended up trying 10 different bows at the local shop ranging from 400 to 1000.00.
    (including a couple of composite-graphite composites)
    After the "blind" tests, I ended up prefering my own bow and in 2nd place came a lovely brazil wood bow
    (pretty much like mine.....)
    Go figure...
    Thank goodness I can at least discern between the quality of basses.....

12. Gabe

Gabe

Jan 21, 2003
    I use a composite bow on the cello. I like it's durability ( you could park a car on it with only minimal damage ), but for tone I prefer a good pernambuco bow. I would however choose composite of a say, a Brazilwood bow. This is just my opinion established on a cello. For bass I've only ever used fiberglass and pernambuco.

13. I also use a Carbow "Grunberger" model bow. I think it is great. It's nice and even, good weight and balance. It doesn't give you anything,but it does'nt take anything away. I have another pernambuco bow which I got for £100 which is better, but I have had bows for over £1000 which were not as good as either. And the one I use for practise is always the Carbow, as I know that if there is a problem, then its me not the bow.

14. You always use it practice... Do you perform with a different bow?

Thanks,
    Dave

15. To be honest Dave, I play mainly jazz, and 95% at least, is plucking. I did a big band gig yesterday, and , yes , I used my graphite bow for the 24 bars of long notes that was the only arco passage on the gig. Last summer I did a show for a week as part of a string section and used my pernambuco bow. I am sure the graphite one would have done the job just as well, but I had only had it a week ,and originally bought it as a backup. Maybe a straight classical guy who bows 95% of the time could give you a different slant on it, but thats the best gig advice I can give.

16. the basic arcus model i saw at a little over a grand if i remember correctly...

17. Bassius

Bassius

Nov 6, 2001
    usa
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar amps
    The Grungerger is a great bow ( I actually know him...and he's french ;) so it's pronounced grunberzhay) He lives in Salt Lake city now. He also designed the other carbows for bass; including gary karr's model.

They are very nice indeed. a great backup bow.

18. Yours was a Carbow , those are much nicer than the Glasser's.

19. By the way , the Grunberger is the french model right?