Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

GraphTech saddles.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Jazz Ad, Mar 30, 2003.

1. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

I played a bass equipped with those today.
    [​IMG]

It was a Yamaha RBX, don't know which one exactly, early flamed maple with blue sunburst model and a single P pickup.
    It has been customized with a graphtech equipped schaller bridge, an EMG P and volume/balance setup. Push pull in the volume simulating a tone pot turned to 0.

Well, I must say that I've been VERY impressed.
    I played it through my SanSamp on a Behringer B300 active cab.
    The EMG P is fine, with a ballsy clean and dry sound.
    I don't like it much, but it's a pretty good pickup.

Those piezos have LOWS. Pretty uncommon sound. They do good even by themselves, and they have a very highmidrangy tone, very nice for fusion and jazzrock. It really gives the mandatory clacking highs that blend perfectly with the P for slap and tapping.

Playing chords with the piezo sounds fabulous. I pushed the SanSamp to get distortion and even then, it didn't sound harsh.
    Actually, I think these piezos could even fit as stand alone transducers. They really have a great sound.

2. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    Whaaa??.. Graph tech is making piezo sadles??? WHA??? cool!.. Where do the wires go?.. do you need a special bridge?..

Alex

3. Jazz Ad

They have the Fender standard size so they should fit on any Fender style bridge.
    They fit perfectly on the Schaller.
    Like all piezos, they have a very high impedance.
    GraphTech sells a little dedicated preamp to go with it.

4. Tecx

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    BUT?.. where do the wires go?.. I am hella confused...

:confused:

Alex

5. Jazz Ad

You need a way to bring the wires to the preamp.
    A very small hole under the saddle to the electronics cavity will do the job.

6. Tecx

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    I dunno, I love piezo, but it sounds like such a vulgar way to have piezo on your bass...

mabey just me...

Alex

7. Very cool. Should just need a single hole in the bridge/body. If you don't want them on there anymore, change back to a stock bridge and it'll be unnoticeable.

Smooth. Piezo believer here also.

8. Tecx

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    I freakin' love piezos, I was actualy going to build a fender jazz copy with no pups... Just a hipshot piezo bridge... But I ended up buying a new amp setup :p

Still love that beefy standup tone you get though, and crazy ghost notes...

Alex

9. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    ?? As opposed to. . ??

10. Tecx

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    Umm well havins to drill rough holes in your bridge plate (which would make adjusting your intonation screws HELL) seems a bit vulgar... Now a bridge like the Hipshot, or schaller use the same hole that is routed for your ground wire... I don't know, I couldn't see myself drilling 4 holes through my bridge into my body... I live on the east coast, and I have to tune my bass every 2 months due to the climet and weather... So I would have one holey bridge plate after a few months...

Alex

11. You're thinking about this too much, methinks. One hole should do. And if you want 4 holes, then put em foward of the saddles.

But, you don't have to do it if you don't want to. Just don't try to convince the rest of us that it's too hard to do.

12. Jazz Ad

I simply can't see how it makes setting intonation any more difficult, even less a hell. :confused:
    The guy drilled 4 little holes right under the saddles, between the "legs". You don't even see the wires, unless you look very hard to get them.

Does it disturb you to see them on uprights ?
    That's the way they're all wired.

13. Tecx

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    I am sorry guys, I guess I am just anal about these things... I didn't mean to make it sound like I was trying to tell anyone anything... Sorry again, I didn't mean to sound like a dick...

Alex

ps. I bet they do sound great, and I would like to try them out sometime...

14. Anyone know a ballpark figure for a piezo setup? i mean the 4 jazz saddles and the preamp? or where to get more info on them?

15. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

16. thumbtrap

thumbtrap

Jun 26, 2003
    I saw the graphtechs and was wondering how they'd do for a fretless bass. I have a Yamaha BBN4F, and I'm pretty happy with it, though I'm considering swapping the pups. After avoiding EMG's on my strat for 15 years and finally giving in - I don't know why people even bother putting selector knobs on single coil instruments. I can't use anything but both pickups full on or the hum is too bad.

How do the piezos sound on fretless? I know it won't sound like an URB. I don't care, though if it takes a step in that direction I won't complain. Do they complement the fretless sound, or will it make it sound more like an ABG? I do like the very uncolored, full but not boomy, defined but not scratchy - sort of articulate P-bass sound - but it's not what I'm looking for on my fretless.

17. 59jazz

59jazz Infinite Rider on the Big Dogma Supporting Member

Thumb......I don't know if they're good or bad for the "mwah sound". The GT saddles pretty much amplify the tonal signature of the string.
    Jazz Ad, I just got the Graphtech saddles and preamp used for cheap! I installed them on my P-Bass w/o the p-p/u's..............black tapewounds, the thing sounds even, full and punchy on my fretted P. I'm considering using the GT's on my new Rob Allen wanabe bass I'm building. I like the sound of the GT's, but an acoustic type bridge just looks more "organic".

steve