Grassroots bass 100$

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by hoangduong212, Oct 14, 2016.

1. hoangduong212

hoangduong212

Sep 10, 2015
    Hi everyone,

Have anyone here ever had experience with Grassroots bass. A seller is offering me this bass for $100. I quite love the look & lespaul body style, never touch any lespaul bass with humbucker before. I can not go an check it directly (>1000km away), so can you help me with any info you have about it or any opinion is welcome. Many thanks for reply.
    DSCF3170_zpswuxnpc7q.jpg
    DSCF3172_zpsazearcew.jpg
    DSCF3173_zpsunhwbxhr.jpg

ThePresident777 likes this.
  2. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    You may wait a million years but sooner or later temptation eyes you up. Walking through the country lovin' things, thinking I can turn off the rain and having feelings about things I should have said in my midnight confessions. Come on and say it. Heaven knows, bella Linda, baby hold on and let's live for today. ;)

Nice bass.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2016
    covermego and Ewo like this.
  3. Tendril

Tendril

Sep 28, 2004
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Hey, if it's in good working condition, I say go for it. worst case scenario, you flip it for $75 and have rented it for a couple of weeks. Best case scenario, you really like it, and maybe mod it, and have a sweet bass.

JimmyThunder likes this.
  4. Sure is good-lookin'!

iriegnome likes this.
  5. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    For that price, I want one!! Take that sucker to my luthier, remove the fretboard and replace it with an unlined Maple board. Bam.. Instant love!!! That is a great looking bass for the price

JimmyThunder likes this.
  6. CatSquare

CatSquare

Mar 7, 2014
    That is a very nice looking bass. And I see those red silks, is it strung with TI Jazz Flats? If so, totally worth it.

MattZilla likes this.
  7. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 God of Thunder and Rock and Roll Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    Sure doesn't look like you can go wrong!

8. Fat Freddy

Fat Freddy Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2016
    Albany NY
    Buy it.....For $100.00 you can't go wrong....(Unless you really can't afford it of course)...:thumbsup:

9. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    Grassroots is somehow affiliated with ESP, a reputable builder. Found this: ESP | GrassRoots Original Series
    Scroll down towards the bottom, look for G-LB-52CC.
    Keep in mind it's a shortscale. Pickups and controls don't look the same, but maybe it's just a revision.
    I agree, for $100 it's probably worth it.

10. cdef

cdef

Jul 18, 2003
    Yes, GrassRoots is ESP:s budget line, and as such not made in Japan, but elsewhere in the Far East. I've only checked out their Fender copies, which are quite OK - roughly on a par with Squiers. If the style speaks to you this looks like a good deal.

11. Fat Freddy

Feb 23, 2016
    Albany NY
    So they're better than Fender's then? ;)

12. Fodera be damned! I'm getting a Grassroots!

13. Fat Freddy

Feb 23, 2016
    Albany NY
    Very wise! :D

BioWeapon likes this.
  14. Madhouse27

Madhouse27

Sep 19, 2016
    It's actually pretty cool looking.

15. BurnOut

BurnOut It's The Billy Baloney Show

Feb 1, 2015
    The Natti
    Looks like the standard Chinese LP bass, I'd think it be worth a straight bill just to have something you can leave laying around the house to flog on at a moment's notice

16. honeyiscool

honeyiscool

Jan 28, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    ESP, one of the best guitar/bass brands in the world, basically has two large mass market brands in Japan: Grass Roots and Edwards**. Edwards is their bread and butter domestic brand. The ESP name is only used for the ultra high-end boutique handmade stuff, usually going for $5000 or more. Like others said, Grass Roots is sort of their budget line, but that doesn't necessarily mean cheap or bad. Some of their signature Grass Roots instruments can fetch decent coin new. It's certainly no worse than, say, a lower-end ESP Ltd, and in many cases, better, because the various Grass Roots basses often have way more interesting specifications (more colors, shapes, sizes) than low end ESP Ltd, which tends to be pretty much beginner metal instruments. Because they're strictly for the Asian market, they often copy Fender and Gibson styles more closely than an export bass would.

**ESP also works with Lakland to make Shoreline basses and other things, but anyway, you get the point.

Swerve, SirMjac28, rufus.K and 2 others like this.
  17. grillman

grillman

Dec 15, 2014
    I have tried a couple of Grassroots here in Korea. They were decent instruments. And all of them were around 2-400 bucks on the second hand market.

100 is a good price if it's in working conditions.

Plus it is good looking.

18. stacker

stacker Inactive

Feb 24, 2010
    scotland
    Edwards is the label ESP gives to its copies of Fender and Gibson, IIRC.

19. hoangduong212

hoangduong212

Sep 10, 2015
    Many thanks guys :D
    I think I will grab it while its still available. If any of you interested in it, I will post a review video after receiving it :)

Fat Freddy likes this.
  20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 25, 2021