Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Grateful Dead stuff

Discussion in 'Ask Michael Dimin' started by phisybrett, Feb 6, 2002.

1. phisybrett

phisybrett

Feb 6, 2002
    Pewaukee, WI
    I started playing bass not too long ago and im dying to learn some grateful dead stuff. ive looked at every tab sight and can only find about 9 songs or so. im wondering how to figure out what phil is playing in most of their tunes. how do i go by the chord changes the guitar makes? i dont get how to figure any of it out. please help me in my quest to mimic the dead!

2. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    Transcription is a great skill to learn and it is great that you are interested in developing it. Working from a chord chart is an excellent start. From the chord chart, identify the notes in each chord (for example C7 = C,E,G,Bb) and the scale or mode that works with the chord. Develop an ear for different patterns such as the box pattern (1,5,b7,8 in different combinations), listen for ascending or descending lines. Learn to sing the bass line. Sketch out the line and in each pass refine the notes and rhythm.

It will be difficult at first, but will get easier as you practice the transcription skills. This skill needs to be practice and developed, give yourself the time to do so.

Hope this helps

Mike