Gratuitous new bass acquisition suggestions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by vometia, Feb 5, 2005.

Suggestions for gratuitous GAS indulgence

Poll closed Feb 12, 2005.
  1. Get the new Ricky blueburst

2. Get the US Fender Precision you've wanted since 1985

3. You have enough basses, enjoy them and learn to play better

4. Get them both - that's the true meaning of GAS!

5. Stop posting "what should I get?" polls already!

1. vometia

vometia Formerly cbh

Nov 1, 2003
    Yes, it's another of those annoying "help me choose a new bass" threads and isn't even my first. It even has a poll for added lack of imagination. :bag:

I'm in one of those fortunate positions where I can gratuitously indulge my GAS. I'd like to make it clear from the start that I really don't need a new bass, I already have a fantastic bass on order that should arrive soon, and the missus will Disapprove. Strongly. My playing ability barely warrants even one bass let alone <cough>several</cough>. But as things have turned out, I'm owed some money, so I could either do the sensible thing and save it or I could blow it on a new PC and a new bass. Guess which one will happen? :D

The main contender for my GAS at the moment is one of those blueburst Rickys; partly driven by the fact that it's not only the first Ricky that I like the look of, but I like it a lot. And, although I've never been entirely comfortable with more severe examples of its tone, so many influential bass players have used it (Lemmy, Alan Davey, Paul McCartney to mention just a few) that there must be something in it.

Or I could get the Fender US P that I've wanted for the last 20 years. Every time I've chosen a new bass it's been 2nd choice so after all this time, I've never had one come into my possession, in spite of the fact that it's my all time favourite bass sound and all my biggest influences have used one (JJ Burnel, Steve Harris, Phil Spalding etc etc etc).

Alternatively I could always just do the Right Thing and be content with what I've got and learn how to play the bloody things properly.

2. jja412

jja412 Fine gear enthusiast

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    Get the P - 20 yrs is a long time to wait...
  3. Buy the "P" could you have a collection of basses without your 'first love' ? Shame.......shame....... :smug:
  4. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Fixed the poll for you. :D
  5. vometia

vometia Formerly cbh

Nov 1, 2003
    Thanks for the votes so far; in spite of my "stop asking for opinions!" option it does actually help me to see what other people think: it makes me look beyond getting caught up with something's novelty value toward what I'll still be happy with in a year's time. It's good to see that other people's opinions side with my gut feeling that the P's day has finally come (rather overdue, but better late than never!)

Er, thanks, I think! Unfortunately getting both would mean that I have to sacrifice the new computer, and my GAS for nerd things is as bad as my bass GAS. :)

6. vometia

vometia Formerly cbh

Nov 1, 2003
    Just to assuage your concern, I do get the occasional lessons (agoraphobia severely limits them, though, and I haven't been for ages :( ). I may have been fiddling about off and on for 20 years, but I'm not too proud to think I couldn't do with some serious improvement!

But I admit I'm one of those people who views basses as playable art.