Dismiss Notice

Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, get alerts, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Gravy!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bloodhammer, Jul 13, 2012.

1. Bloodhammer

Bloodhammer Twinkle Twinkle Black Star

Jul 7, 2009
    Shreveport, Louisiana
    Let's talk about gravy. What's your favorite kind? What do you put it on? What's you're definition of it? Is spaghetti sauce gravy? Is au jus gravy? What's the etymology of the word gravy?

Gravy as slang - I'm going off the rails of the gravy train!

To gravy or not to gravy?

Have I lost my mind?

[​IMG]

2. Gravy should be white and thick and creamy!

3. Register_To_Disable

4. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    I suspect gravy is more popular down south than it is in California but damn if biscuits and gravy isn't one of the most delicious breakfast items ever!

5. I likes most all gravy but prefer the white stuff. And I think it's likely more common in Nor Cal than south, but what do I know

6. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Im down for some biscuits and gravy, so long as sausage was not used in the white gravy (blasphemy to some, Im sure).

You can find white gravy at lots of places in SoCal. Chicken fried steak was a favorite of mine before going veggie.
    Brown gravy on mashed potatoes was pretty gravy, too. And some au jus (gravy or not, I dont know) was great with a french dip roast beef!

7. Bloodhammer

Jul 7, 2009
    Shreveport, Louisiana
    I like all gravy, but what I usually make is a rich brown gravy for pouring over ........... well.............everything?

Step 1) I make a dark brown roux out of flour and olive oil

Step 2) I make a really really concentrated beef stock out of boiling water and this stuff:

[​IMG]

Step 3) I slowly (very slowly!!!!) pour the stock into the roux while stirring with a whisk

Step 4) I pour it all over the floor and make "snow angels"

8. Funky Ghost

Funky Ghost Translucently Groovy

Sausage or bacon gravy. Home made not from a can or package. Cast Iron is preferable to it's construction :) Yeah, I'm that picky. Grandma did that to me.

9. Bloodhammer

Jul 7, 2009
    Shreveport, Louisiana
  10. Bloodhammer

Jul 7, 2009
    Shreveport, Louisiana
  11. bassinplace

bassinplace

Dec 1, 2008
    Gravy puking frogs do not an appetizer make.

12. Yeah. Imma gonna have to be sigging that.

13. Are you KIDDING me? It's an *accoutrement* which, being French, PROVES it's extra high-falutin and snobby. :)

14. :)

15. My favourite kind of gravy comes from a local place called "Phog Lounge", they make it from scratch to put on poutine.

"What do you put it on?" Poutine of course, turkey, chicke, etc...

as for a definition - it's a sauce made from the juicy drippings from some kind of meat. What else is there to define?

Etymology, I'm not sure of, but I will say that spaghetti sauce is not gravy - at least not the tomato-based sauce that I'm accustomed to. Au jus, to be honest, I would say yes and no - it's basically gravy, but it's thinner than most gravies that I come across. So I'm not entirely sure. I'll say "yes" though, given that as far as I know it's made from meat drippings (the drippings made from cooking the meat, not blood/raw meat juices).

16. See,I'd have to think of that as more of a post-prog rock name myself.

17. Tack on *a-billy* and you have my current project. I like to blur the lines... :)

18. Gravy is also a dinner saver. If you burned the steaks, put some gravy on it. If the potatoes taste like bleh, put some gravy on it.