GRE anyone?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Phat Ham, Nov 25, 2003.

1. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    Well I just took the GRE and is it just me, or are the words they throw at you on the verbal section just ridiculous? I mean, I've gone through three and a half years of college and I recognized maybe 3 of the words on there. But then again I are engineer. At least the quantitative section was easy.
  2. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Yeah, I just kind of laughed/cried my way through the verbal section. I didn't do so hot on the SAT verbal either, at least compared to my math score.

I did better on the math and logic parts. Though, what was really nice, after having just gone through 4 (edit: or, I guess three? can't remember if I took it in the fall or not, guess I probably did) years of engineering school, was that I did really well on the engineering exam. :)

That was a loooong day though.
  3. pineapple

Oct 16, 2003
    lexington, ky
    i took the gre and totally crashed it about two years ago. i did terrible on the math parts, and pretty bad on the language parts too, and i have a BA in english, graduating cum laude, too. those words are completely ridiculous. however, i've heard that a lot of graduate school selection committees focus less on the score and more on the paper samples, grades and letters of recommendation. among the universities, standardized tests are now recognized as a measure of how good you are at taking a test, and not of how much you actually know. thank god.

i put off grad school because i wanted to rock out. and so it has been...
  4. :D

anyways, i cant say i know what the GRE (seems similar to SAT but harder?) but i knwo what you mean. some of these words on these things are ridiculous. i cant complain however, i took the sat at the beggining of this month and just got my scores back:

620 math
    720 verbal

:D woot
  5. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    So, the reason your spelling and punctuation are so bad in your posts is. . .?
  6. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    I've heard the same thing. Many people have told me that the GRE is more of a formality than something that is used to grade an application. The school of education at my university just has a minimum requirement of 1000 on the GRE. As long as you get over 1000, you're fine. I'd imagine, though, that if you do extremely well or extremely poorly on the test it can effect you chances of acceptance.
  7. i have intelagense. i just chuse to not use it sometimez. :rolleyes:
  8. Bass Lad

Bass Lad

Oct 5, 2002
    Big Easy, LA
    Gosh... I took GRE on October '03, did horrible on verbal, ok in quantitative, and pretty well in analytical. but... I'm an engineer too... so I guess I don't have to worry about the verbal score, hehehehe... I'm applying to about 5 schools for Fall '04 and hoping that I can get out of this city (New Orleans)...

Wish me luck, please please please....

9. Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    The GRE sucks. The best advice I can give someone is take all the practice tests you can find. I got a couple of CDs with full length practice tests and each time my scores increased. Do at least 4 I say.
  10. I took it twice and I actually did worse on the verbal/vocabulary part the second time, but I really didn't care because I got an 800 on the math and a 6/6 on the writing.

The only people who are gonna use those words on a regular basis are philosophers.