Greasy Fingers

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Generican, Oct 4, 2003.

1. Generican

Aug 30, 2003
    Hampton, VA
    Hey guys, just an observation that i made recently...

I was practicing as usual with my band, and enjoying a cold beer, when i took a drink in the middle of a song, but didnt have time to wipe the condensation from the beer off before i started playing again...

So anyways i noticed i could go a bit faster when my fingers were slightly damp, and it was easier to play with three fingers instead of the usual two.

OK, so i was wondering if anybody had some sort of conditioning for their fingers they did, whether greasing or otherwise.

The beer condensate wore off pretty quick, so i kept grabbin the beer whenever possible.
  2. grinder

Nov 11, 2002
    New York,U.S.A.
    Condensation will cause your strings to rust up faster.I use finger-ease on my strings.Helps with string noise and makes sliding smoother.I'm also an obsessive hand washer.
  3. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Yay anothr obsessive handwasher! I must say i wash my hands 20-30 times a day.
  4. hey, all you need is good old honest sweat! ;)
  5. I read an article on Bunnybass that recommended rubbing your fingers on the tip of your nose ( note: the tip, not in the nose! otherwise you won't be popular ) as there is usually a small amount of natural body oil that congregates in this area. This gives your fingers just enough lubrication to play faster without your fingers snagging too much on the strings. I tried it and it works great. :bassist:
  6. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Being an adolecent, my face is the grease pit of the western world. I just rub my fingers against my nose and it helps alot.
  7. Hey Kirby, I've got two teenage sons who are both muso's,
    and you know,
    I've just noticed how nice and oily their skin is.......
    mmmmmmmmm :D

Looks like my sixteenth notes are going to be groovy now.
  8. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    Yeah, that's natural lubrication for you. I think Fender's Bassstreet Magazine had an article on it.

Believe it not I've tried using normal body powder, it works wonders.