1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Great 6 Strings?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by solutionbassist, Apr 19, 2010.

1. solutionbassist

solutionbassist

Apr 19, 2010
    My band loves metal and hard rock. I am looking at getting a 5 or 6 string for the crunchy sound. I've seen Traben Phoenix and the Dean Edge. Any ideas?

2. solutionbassist

solutionbassist

Apr 19, 2010
    Im fine with pretty much any brand. The only one im not too thrilled with is Fender.......

3. waleross

waleross

Nov 27, 2009
    South Florida
    I have the Fender Amer. 5 String and I really love it. It sounds great and is easy to play. The 5 string is a special instrument and this is my first one. I know there are a lot of 5 strings out there but the Fender is worth it ImO......:cool:

4. solutionbassist

solutionbassist

Apr 19, 2010
    Yeah. I used a Fender for quite a while but the neck wasn't bolted on real well and the tone/volume knobs always came off:scowl:

5. solutionbassist

solutionbassist

Apr 19, 2010
    I used a Fender for a while but the neck wasn't bolted on well and the tone/volume knobs always came off.

6. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    They only offer one 6-string anyways (ignoring those Bass VI things), and I wasn't all that impressed with it. In my opinion, Fender amps (that new Bassman is amazing) are the only thing worthwhile.

Spector, Warwick, and the MM Bongo are the best choices for your metal needs.

7. solutionbassist

solutionbassist

Apr 19, 2010
    I haven't even been able to find any Fenders with more than 4 strings.

8. tdogg

tdogg

Jan 17, 2001
    Brooklyn Park, MN
    whats your budget? a new ibanez sr506 can be had for around $600. not the nicest looking bas IMHO but they sound and play awesome

9. Aspidites

Aspidites

Oct 20, 2009
    Berkeley CA
    There is a plethora of models with 5 strings and the Steve Bailey signature edition is a 6er in both fretted and fretless editions.

10. tdub0199

tdub0199

Mar 4, 2010
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Ibanez SR706 = $750.00

11. solutionbassist

solutionbassist

Apr 19, 2010
    used a fender bassman live didnt know my school owned an amp that nice!!

12. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    So the problem was finding a screwdriver? You mentioned two extremely minor basic maintainence issues.
    :)

Just about any of the sixes out there would work for what you're talking about... it'll be down to what you think is okay.

13. Go to your local guitar shop, and try as many as you can. Pick the one that inspires you to play. I love Deans, they feel great in your hands, and usually not too heavy. If you're looking for a 5 string you may want wider string spacing if you're playing with your fingers. Or more narrow spacing if you're a pick player.
    A lot of things come into making a decision on an instrument. I think tone, playabillity, and looks are all very subjective to each player. Only YOU can pick YOUR bass. Happy hunting, and be sure to post pics when you get it!