1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Great AEB pickup upgrade

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by sse1990, Mar 16, 2013.

1. sse1990

sse1990

Mar 12, 2009
    Sudbury, Ontario
    I have a Dean 5-string acoustic bass and the saddle pickup, well, sucked. I tried a pre-amp and even that wasn't enough to get some volume out of it. Without the ore-amp I had to crank my amp to max to hear anything, and with the pre-amp I had volume from the G and D strings and the output fell off for the rest of the strings.

I started looking at a way to upgrade the pickup and came across the K&K pickups. Looked good and was going to get them. Then I heard about an alternative that was less expensive and seemed to have good reviews. The alternative was from http://www.jjb-electronics.com/. I emailed Jessie and had a bunch of questions for him. All my questions got answered quickly.

I wanted to keep my onboard controls and asked if he could make it work. He said no problem. He wired the 3 transducers ( cause it's a 5-string acoustic), into a 2.5mm jack since that is how the saddle pickup was connected.

This was on a weekend I got a hold of him and by Monday it was shipped to me. Since I was in Canada it took a bit longer to get to me. He recommended using the gel super glue to instal them and I'm glad I did it that way.

Now comes the moment of truth. Plugged it in and all I can say is WOW. It's as loud as my electric basses, no real need for the ore-amp, but I may still go through the pre-amp, and I still have the use of my on-board controls.

Couldn't be any happier with this upgrade. The price was way cheaper than the K&K and the quality of the job Jessie did was perfect, especially trying to solder 3 transducers onto a single 2.5mm plug.

Anyone looking for an upgrade should check out the link I posted above. I'm glad I did.