1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Great Alain Caron solo on acoustic fretless bass

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by jibreel, May 12, 2010.

1. jibreel

jibreel

Apr 12, 2005
    Seattle

2. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass Supporting Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Northern Va.
    This guy is just great!!!

3. Funkturnal

Funkturnal

Nov 17, 2009
    Tokyo, Japan
    He is great. I discovered his acoustic bass guitar playing about a year ago and developed a new found respect for him.

His ABG playing sounds pretty darn close to an upright to me, more so than any ABG I've heard. I wonder if it's the particular bass that he plays, combined with the fact that it's fretless. I also noticed that he holds his ABG vertically, almost like an upright. I wonder if this is due to the body being exceptionally big, or if this is just an "artistic choice" on his part?

FYI, I have 2 albums of him playing ABG that are worth checking out IMO. The first is Frank Gambale's "Natural High" (with FG playing acoustic guitar). Lots of jazz standards with altered (re-written) melodies but the same changes. Also, he has a solo album called "Conversations" where he plays duets, mainly with different piano players.

4. OldogNewTrick

OldogNewTrick

Dec 28, 2004
    Germany, EU
    Thank you, great clip. I really enjoy his intelligent playing. His perfect technique is always awe inspiring.

5. queevil

queevil

Aug 6, 2009
    Waco,TX