Great Ampeg head and cabinet combination?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ekimosis, May 27, 2005.

1. ekimosis

May 25, 2005
    Im going to buy a new head and cabinet and am going with Ampeg. I know an Ampeg dealer and can get a deal essentially. From what Ive read the sound of Ampeg heads has alot to do with what they are paired up with cabinet wise. Now, theres obviously a wide price range here. Ill probably be using it in small clubs and bars. I could read the specs on these things forever but I think real world advce is much better. If you wouldnt mind, give me a couple options in different price ranges you think would be my best options. Thanks!
  2. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Get either an SVT-CL or an SVT-2 Pro, but take a look at a Bergantino 610 or 215, Aguilar 412, or some Eden cabs. I really don't like the sound of most of Ampeg's newer cabs, especially when I play my 5er.
  3. Washishimi

Washishimi Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2005
    New York
    My two Ampeg setups that gave me the biggest smile on my face over the years:

SVT II PRO with 2 SVT810E's

Any head with 1 PR-410HLF

Probably both overkill for your situation, but oh so nice :cool:
  4. ekimosis

May 25, 2005
    I would really appreciate some advice on the question I asked. Suggesting other brands or something like "2 8x10 cabinets" doesnt help me at all. Please read the question if your gonna bother answering. Im sure this will help other people in the same situation in the future.
  5. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    The thing is, most Ampeg cabs sound pretty terrible, to my ears at least. Does this dealer carry anything other than Ampeg?
  6. r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    If you're going to be playing small clubs and bars, an SVT 3 Pro might suit you. If you like tube tone it might be just the thing.

I know that you specified an Ampeg cab, but you might look into cabs from Avatar or Dr. Bass. Both are well thought of here on TB and very reasonably priced. The Neo versions are much lighter than Ampegs cabs; always a plus.
  7. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    How about an Ampeg 6x10 with an SVT 3 pro, or one of thier 4x10 cabs; I think the SVT 3 is a great amp.
  8. White_rabbit

Jan 3, 2005
    I have an SVT350h and a 410HLF cab and I'm very happy with this setup. Maybe I'l get another head soon but I'll never change this cab... I really love it. You should try one, believe me this is really something :)
  9. When you say "small clubs and bars", how many people would a small club / bar be?

I used a Pro 3 paired with a 410hlf, playing classic metal and rock, punk rock, and some country, in bars with a capacity of 200-500 ppl (I am guessing here) and this combo seemed to work fine.

I have also owned/played a b5r paired with a svt15 and svt410. This set-up sounded thin, tinny, and the overdrive sounded again, very thin and transparent.

I have tried a Pro 4 with the b5r cabs and the pro 3 cab. Did not like at all.

If your heart is set on Ampeg, and you don't think you'll be playing stadiums any time too soon...try (before you buy) the Pro 3 and 410 set-up. If you are thinking long term, and possible re-sale, you might want to look into a SVT CL paired with the 610 cab...either of these should do you fine.
  10. lowmid

Feb 2, 2005
  11. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    One of my favorite setups is an Ampeg 410HLF and an SVT-III pro. It's "smaller," but sounds phenominal; and if you play your cards right, you might be able to get the whole setup for under $1000.
  12. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    You cannot get a full tube tone out of a hybrid amp. Don't fool him into thinking that. :scowl:

I agree. Ampeg's cabs are pretty inefficient, and don't sound half as good as a similarly priced Schroeder small box (which is much more efficient and half the weight).

Of course, if you HAVE to have Ampeg just because everybody's using them and you're extremely name brand concious, then may God have mercy on your soul, for it shall be your downfall.
  13. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    I have to agree, the Schroeder cabs are much more efficient. I achieve that same volume levels with my Schroeder and still have head room to spare. With the Ampeg, I would clip the amp just to be heard.
  14. MiniMic

Sep 29, 2001
    Syracuse NY
    Just thought I'd add my vote: the Ampeg B2R or 350H amp(same specs, different looks) 200/350watts 2 8/4 ohms and the 410 HLF cabinet is a great combination
  15. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    If you can get a deal on Ampeg I'd go with a cheaper cab (like Avatar) and a more expensive head, like a 4Pro if you like hybrid tone, or an SVT if you want all tubes. Maybe hold out until you can try one of the new 6Pros and see if you like sound.

My reasoning is that cabs are ampeg's weak point. Even if you are getting a deal you are spending more money than you should. Get a more expensive head, that's what Ampeg is best out.

If you are getting the Ampeg gear for close to wholesale a 4pro would be around $900, an Avatar 212 is less tha $300 and will take the full bridged output of the 4Pro at 8ohms. A 410 from Avatar is around $350 and would handle anything the Ampeg could dish out.

I don't know what he 6Pros go for but I think its simillar.
  16. r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    "You cannot get a full tube tone out of a hybrid amp. Don't fool him into thinking that."

Wasn't trying to "fool" him. Is the 3 Pro an all tube amp? Of course not. Perhaps I should have said "tubey" or "tube-like" instead. The 3 Pro does, however, sound quite "tubey" for a hybrid amp and I happen to think it sounds very good. Just my opinion, of course.
  17. I actually Played my Jazz Bass through an SVT 3 Pro /410He combination yesterday. It sounded great, but the volume was quiet very disaponting :meh: It just seemed well certainly not room filling.

I Still however have no doubt the head is a great head though- I was playing through an 8ohm cabinet, and Ampeg heads are said to be lacking a little in the rated power they have 450@4ohms, and 275@8ohms. More like 300w@4ohm and 200@8ohms I think is a more close to the truth power rating.

Like I said, great head, it should do for smaller gigs- it certainly has great tone, and loads of features. Just lacking a little in the power department. I would take the advice of others and get this head if you must have an Ampeg, then go a more efficient cabinet. A 4Ohm cab will let the amp put out to it's fullest- but you run out of options if you want to run more cabinets. Keep it small, you dont want to be lugging around 200lbs's of gear to small gigs.

Now if you can look else where / another brand for heads- the Ashdown ABM series is very similar sounding, and believe me when I say they sound sweet- Much louder too.
  18. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Yup, the Yorkville XS series too.
  19. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I saw this post earlier and decided not to post as I would also suggest Berg cabs. However, after a jaunt to the Boston Guitar Center today, I feel that I can now make a suggestion. I've played through the Ampeg 610 classic a few times now and I've gotta say that I like it a lot. I've not played one live but I'm sure it would sound great. I've pushed it pretty hard in a couple of shops now, as well as tried a 5 string through it. As for an amp my favorites are the SVT4 and SVT5 amps. For less money the SVT3 is a great amp though.