1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Great bands that you really liked, but forgot about for at least a couple of decades

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Artman, May 2, 2021.

1. Artman

Artman Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2017
    Georgetown, TX
    I guess this is mostly a thread for baby Boomers and older Gen-X'ers like myself, but anyone who enjoys the music that was the sound track of our childhood or youth might enjoy participating in this thread.
    For some reason, out of the blue I just remembered how much I used to like the band known as Be Bop Deluxe. It has been decades since I've heard any of their music, but for some unknown reason I suddenly thought about them.
    Feel free to share clips/links to songs from 70's and early 80's bands that were not exactly mainstays of radio or television that your really enjoyed BITD.

2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    HUGE BBD fan here - never forgot them. I do my usual half-assed covers of a bunch of their tunes:

That "Ships In The Night" and "Maid In Heaven" are both on my list to learn / try.

woodyng2, DJ Bebop, squarepeg and 2 others like this.
  3. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    He's still at it, too, put together a little "nostalgia" group:

4. Artman

Artman Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2017
    Georgetown, TX
    Hey, great work! I love that baritone voice, and your playing as well!

DJ Bebop and bholder like this.
  5. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Thanks! I almost have to do everything an octave down any more, losing my high range, but hey, I'll make it work somehow or another! :D

DJ Bebop likes this.
  6. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Some of the bands I was into as a youngster don't seem so compelling to me any more (was a huge ELP geek, but their stuff hasn't aged all that well, imho). BBD has stuck with me, though, as has my love for all eras of King Crimson. It's weird how some tastes change, some don't.

7. Chad Michael

Chad Michael Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2001
    Pacific Northwest USA
    Ambrosia

Fretless1!, Artman, J R Knots and 4 others like this.
  8. mikewalker

mikewalker Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Canada, Eh!

Artman, SoCal80s, ZonieBass and 7 others like this.
  9. A guilty pleasure band to be sure, but I always loved the tribal rhythm section. Had a huge crush on the singer too.

Fretless1!, DJ Bebop, Winslow and 4 others like this.
  10. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

Time for 90’s nostalgia...this UK/French band were a blend of all sorts of things; Space Age Lounge, breezy 60’s pop, Neu!, Velvets, Swingle Singers and so on. Huge cult following at the time, they ran their course, one of the keyboardists died when run over by a car, but last year they were posed to do a reunion tour, and we all know what happened then...

Artman, DogsNbeer, pineweasel and 6 others like this.
  11. Ihaveshingles

Ihaveshingles

Dec 24, 2018
    I first heard them on Marie antoinette soundtrack, fools rush in....great bass playing and band as a whole

DJ Bebop, design and pingvuiini like this.
  12. I’m 39. Have always been interested in what’s new with music. I like a lot of new bands. Plini, intervals, periphery, the crazy mix of styles bands like soften the glare have, even forward thinking jazz stuff like the Bob Reynolds quartet album. But yeah my “old” music that I still go back often to is 90s grunge. For my age group it’s my version of classic rock as opposed to older rock which I typically refer to as petrified rock lol

DJ Bebop likes this.
  13. RayWithFlats

RayWithFlats

Mar 22, 2020
    on the 1
    Love Stereolab! My favourite festival memory is seeing them and Spiritualized back to back, they were both incredible.

Two albums that were huge for me in my teens that I’ve really been appreciating lately are...

Swervedriver - Raise

and

The Breeders - Last Splash

(both not necessarily forgotten but definitely under appreciated by me until recently)

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 3, 2021 at 2:23 AM
    MattZilla and DJ Bebop like this.
  14. Eli_Kyiv

Eli_Kyiv

Apr 7, 2020
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    There's this Belgian band Machiavel which I didn't hear about from early eighties to early noughts. They started as a prog band in the 70's, then switched to more mainstream music.

Artman and DJ Bebop like this.
  15. Used to love these guys in the 70s, then somehow pretty much forgot about them, until one day I heard this song in a movie soundtrack, and fell in love all over again.

Artman, onamission, DJ Bebop and 2 others like this.
  16. Artman, Peteyboy, marchone and 6 others like this.
  17. Another from those days in the early 70's: Wet Willie. Fronted by soul singer/sax & harp player Jimmy Hall, with his brother Jack on bass. They were one of Phil Walden's acts on Capricorn. This was my favorite kind of band where 'Southern Rock' was not a subtle redneck put-down, a great blend of blues, soul, rock, and you could hear their church and country roots, what I used to call 'gumbo music' with so many flavors blended in. Anyway, here's 'Poor Judge of Character' that illustrates it pretty good.

Wet Willie - Poor Judge of Character - YouTube

Artman, DJ Bebop, Crash 56 and 2 others like this.
  18. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    Have you seen the stuff Jimmy Hall did with BlackBerry Smoke at Capricorn Studios last year? Just stellar!

DJ Bebop likes this.
  19. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    For me, Faith No More falls into that category - specifically the Angel Dust album. Hard to believe it’s been 29 years since that was released! That was in heavy rotation in my Sony Discman!

Last edited: May 3, 2021 at 7:01 AM
    Artman, SoCal80s, PaulS and 3 others like this.
  20. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    A conversation I recall from college:

"What kind of music is that?"

"Roxy Music"

:D

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 9, 2021