Great Bass Album

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Scottzo, Jan 20, 2000.

1. Scottzo

Jan 20, 2000
    Which do you think album helped define what bass playing is and should be?
    What album made you pick it up and start those first few plucks?
    Was it a Heavy Weather? Close to the edge? Blea Fleck & the Flecktones?

For me it was Zep two...The Lemon Song! Later on it was Jaco's first solo album..two words..Donna Lee!
  2. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    For me it was "Live at Leeds" by The Who.

3. Player

Dec 27, 1999
    USA Cincinnati, OH
    I was already playing bass, but Geddy's playng on Rush's "A Farewell to Kings" really inspired me.

4. Black_Sabbath_Fanatic

Dec 12, 1999
    well for me it was Black Sabbath's PARANOID album that got me going and i think Iron Man was just THE SONG that i wanted to play in the begining. hasn't really changed, i still play all the sabbath i can.....

"Don't let those empty people try and interfere with your mind, just live your life and leave them all behind!"--Black Sabbath
  5. You guys don't laugh to hard at this one.....My first real influence on the bass was from TWISTED SISTER!!!!!!!!! [​IMG] After that it was Gene Simmons from Kiss. And then I discovered Rush. After that it was Heavy Weather. Some history!
  6. Player

Dec 27, 1999
    USA Cincinnati, OH
    I leaned some BTO (Not Fragile) and Sabbath (I think it was the album Black Sabbath), but nothing that had the kind of impact that "Cinderella Man" or "Xanadu" then my brother got 2112 and I forgot all about any other players until I figured out that you don't get many gigs if all you know is Rush i learned the keyboards too. [​IMG]

7. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Hey Jaco fans!...everybody seems to mention HEAVY WEATHER; do give a listen(or a re-visit)to Weather Report's NIGHT PASSAGE & the self-titled WEATHER REPORT cds. IMO, these are a step above HW. Too, Jaco's playing on "Barbary Coast"(from BLACK MARKET)...funk-ay! Also, MR. GONE's "Punk Jazz"-Jaco with Tony Williams on that one,...bad!.
    I started "playing"(?) in '72; I'm guessing it was McCartney, Led Zep, Sly Stone, Santana, Deep Purple, Uriah Heep, Yes,...whatever a typical, long-haired 14-year old was into at that time.
    About 3-4 years later, Jaco's debut; Stanley Clarke's SECOND solo album("Lopsy Lu"); Jamerson's Motown stuff; Rainey's playing with Quincy Jones & Steely Dan; The Brothers Johnson's LOOKIN' OUT FOR #1; Will Lee with The Breckers;...on & on & on.
  8. Bryan

Dec 24, 1999
    Well Elvis had me playin' air guitar since I can remember but when I started playing bass I was into rock/hard rock but there weren't specifically any bass players. But not long after I stared taking lessons I got David Lee Roth's "Eat 'Em and Smile" with Billy Sheehan and I immediately took the songs to my teacher but to no avail. Since then It's gone mostly by style:

"Mingus Ah Um" for jazz
    anything by P-Funk
    and Stanley Clarke or Jaco for fusion
  9. dEaDfRoG

Jan 17, 2000
    I started wanting to play after hearing the Red Hot Chili Peppers' "Blood Sugar Sex Magik" album (voted #1 bass album of all time in one of the mags!!)

I didn't really get around to actually playing until about 6 years after it though!

Faith No More did some good stuff aswell - simple, but effective (or so I thought)!
  10. I saw TM Stevens live 3 years ago. WOW !!! Such a power, such a groove, all in one. I knew as good as nothing related to bass before, but, after the show, I was convicted : I want to make THIS too. I had the chance to hang out for a while with him after the show, and this man is great !

Two weeks later, another concert, this time it was Skunk Anansie. Pretty good bass stuff, too. Another meeting with the bassist Cass Lewis after that show.

It was a sign. I bought a bass one week later !
  11. King David

King David

Dec 13, 1999
    Harry Connick Jr. "She" Album

As a bass player I am a firm believer in the bass being a blend in and complement type accompaning (sp?) instrument.

This album is pretty bass heavy. I am not a huge fan of Big band music, and this album is more pop meets jazz. i like to turn tha bass up on the stereo, and close my eyes and listen. It has some cool solos on it too. If you do not like typical Harry, check it out! It is different.

12. bass isin't just for support in point...PRIMUS..Les Claypool..but that is not my only influence..I'm way too old to be that closed minded [​IMG] I've been moved by every low end sound I ever heard..bass or's all good [​IMG]
  13. red hot chili peppers and victor wooten are my inspirations
  14. swolves

Jan 23, 2000
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Player:
    I was already playing bass, but Geddy's playng on Rush's "A Farewell to Kings" really inspired me.

and who could forget hemispheres

15. Suntras

Jan 14, 2000
    Rush started the draw, then I started listening to more music and eventually every thing excited me especcially Stu Hamm's techniques live.
  16. Bruce Ridinger

Bruce Ridinger

Dec 18, 1999
    Les Claypool of PRIMUS on the "Antipop" CD is really out there with some great bass lines and leads. Sounds like he is having a lot of fun to me playing, writing tunes and singing with the band.
  17. JimM

Jan 13, 2000
    Northern California
    I remember reading in guitar player interview many years ago a review of a bassist(I cant remember was before B.P.mag.)that said Jack Bruce was the first player to play something other than "chug-a-lug" bass.He made particular mention of Cream's rendition of Robert Johnson's "Crossroads"
    Although I concer with that opinion,I dont mind chug-a-luging(on bass) once in a while,especially if thats what you call Willie Dixon or J.Jamerson et al inspired lines.
  18. RobB

Dec 17, 1999
    Steve Harris

19. betrnpippi

Feb 18, 2000
    I havent been playing that long but 311's album "Music" inspired me, the song "Feels so Good" in particular.
  20. dryan

Feb 5, 2000
    The Police-Walking on the Moon. A perfect example of how Sting's lines are so appropriate, and this case, simple.