1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Great Bass Lines Not Recorded on Bass

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by jaywa, Mar 27, 2009.

1. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

How about this?

2. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    Thanks for the correction on "Like A Prayer". Apologies and props to Mr. Pratt, that line is fierce.

And apparently, based on another currently active TB thread, "Black Velvet" by Alannah Miles needs to be on this list as well. (fretless patch played on a keyboard).

3. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    Same deal with "Sir Duke". That is most assuredly a real bassist on a real bass.

4. Spandau Ballet's "true" is synth bass.(Martin Kemp himself said this in an interview)

Thompson twins' -love on your side
    Pet Shop boys- west end girls
    Daft punk- around the world (sounds like they were copying Chic's Good times and Le freak basslines on synth)
    Swing out sister- break out
    Chaka Khan- Ain't nobody

5. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Bob Stewart us another tubist(?) that plays great "basslines".

6. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Wow, I'm shocked.

7. Junior- mama used to say
    Dennis Edwards- don't look any further (sampled/copied by Coldcut and countless other remixers)
    Mantronix- got to have your love

8. robkphoto

robkphoto

Jan 28, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    The bass line in Like a Prayer is pretty sick towards the end. That song has alway been my favorite Madonna song.

How about a lot of the White stripes stuff? I think he plays the bass on a bass string on his guitar. Does that count?

9. robkphoto

robkphoto

Jan 28, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    Actually according to Wikipedia regarding bass on "Like a Prayer":

The single version of "Like a Prayer" (7" remix) is slightly different from the album version in some extra background production, including a shorter and heavier guitar intro, louder bass, string arrangements in the verses and electric guitar at the song's climax. In addition, the album version features bass guitar played by Randy Jackson, while the 7" version uses an analogue Minimoog bass synthesizer. Guy Pratt was featured on the single version.[4]. Several of the versions of "Like a Prayer", excluding that on the album, were included on Remixed Prayers.

So it looks like everyone is sort of right?!

10. Gasman

Gasman Gold Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2007
    South Carolina
    You just beat me to it. I was going to say "Seven Nation Army" by the White Stripes. Also, "True Faith" by New Order- I love that song.

11. Blake Bass

Blake Bass Supporting Member

Jan 10, 2006
    Montgomery, Texas
    I always liked the synth bass sound on Bruce Hornsby's older material, like The Way It Is and Mandolin.

12. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    "Hyperactive" from Thomas Dolby.

13. RedLeg

RedLeg Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2009
    Kaiserslautern, Germany
    Nov Shmoz Ka Pop?
    The Doors - When The Music's Over - so simple sounding, but grüvy
    or anything off "strange days" is pure genius IMO.

14. Armacielli

Armacielli

Oct 16, 2008
    Charlie Daniels- Devil Went down to GA (Devil's solo)

15. Les Rythmes Digitales- hey you what's that sound
    just seen the video for the first time- funny stuff :D

16. cant tell if thats a joke.. so to be safe im going to say that that particular line is a bass ran through a crap load of processing.

my vote goes to the doors' break on through. i find myself humming it all the time.

17. that original version's bass line gets really groovie and nasty at the end.... a lil bit hard to do that on a synth...

sounds so cool.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ro52LgM64MI

at min. 4:24 u can hear the bass player digging a bit harder in the strings... sounds pretty real to me !!!

18. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

That may be true but he said 'most stuff' which isn't true.

19. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Don't Look Any Further also has a live bass track playing ad libs and such.

True Fact: That's my ex-wife, Wondress, singing on Mantronix-Gotta Have Your Love!

20. NIN's 'Head Like a Hole'.
    In fact, most of Pretty Hate Machine has killer basslines, all synth I believe.