1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Great Bass Lines Not Recorded on Bass

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by jaywa, Mar 27, 2009.

1. bassforce

bassforce Guest

Feb 7, 2007
    The Doors

2. MNAirHead

MNAirHead Supporting Member

madonna boarderline

3. feel good inc. - Gorrilaz?

4. Thump Jr.

Thump Jr.

Jun 8, 2008
    SW FL
    Jack White uses octave pedals for all the White Stripes bass lines - at least, that I'm aware of.

Re: Muse - Considering that Muse has a bass player (the excellent Chris Wolstenholme), I'm positive that all of their bass lines are played with a real bass (albeit mostly through a lot of effects). The only exception (and I'm not entirely sure about this one) is Knights of Cydonia; during one section ("No one's going to take me alive . . ."), there is a synthy bassline that is joined by a more standard bass midway through. It may be done with a recording, though, as I can play the synth bass part (the only tapping riff I know).

5. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    Anyone know if Kajagoogoo "Too Shy" would belong on this list? Or is that real bass?

Lots of that 80s stuff it's really hard to tell.

6. "I Wish" was played by a regular old four-stringer -- I didn't know the fellow's name, but that could be it. He's shown demonstrating the bass part on the VH-1 "Classic Albums" bit about "Songs In the Key of Life."

How about "Since I've Been Loving You" by LZ? John Paul Jones used a Hammond organ pedal for that bass part, if my ears don't deceive me. It's a very simple part, but its texture is so thick and rich, that it works. Apologies if another poster has mentioned this one already.

Another Zeppelin example -- "No Quarter".

7. Linkert

Linkert Guest

Oct 24, 2006
    Everything by level 42. King plays the treble!

8. That is wicked!

9. Natrix

Natrix

Mar 21, 2009
    Sydney Australia
    There's a duet of percussionist Trilok Gurtu & Joe Zawinul on Gurtu's album 'Crazy Saints'.
    It's a Zawinul composition called 'Ballad for Two Musicians' . Killer bass line played by Joe on Synth.

10. acleex38

acleex38

Jul 28, 2006
    "Becky" by the Benevento/Russo Duo

11. xk49w

xk49w

Apr 13, 2008
    Joe Z. doubling Jaco on Teen Town.

12. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Nathan Watts. He tuned down 1/2 step for "I Wish".

13. UncleBalsamic

UncleBalsamic

Jul 8, 2007
    UK
    I think I saw a video with the bassist playing a Wal so it's probably real bass unless he was miming to nothing.

14. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    It's Nick Beggs on a real bass.
    He's no slouth.
    I used to think "Promises, Promises" by Naked Eyes was synth...it's so clean. Enough people here have verified that it was Tony Mansfield on a real bass...so I'm believing them.

Howard Jones' "Things Can Only Get Better" was another...synth or bass?

15. skeptikal

skeptikal

Jan 24, 2008
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Favorite bassline-ever-not-recorded-on-a-bass .... 3 6 Mafia - Late Night Tip. That song was so loud in my car with a 15 + 3000watts. 50 Cent's - Many Men was incredibly loud. Granted I am not a fan of rap music at all. Incubus + 311 just don't get that loud lol.

Fortunately I put that crap away and learned to play the bass besides just listening to it.

16. +1 for that album. Good stuff on there.

Dirty Dozen Brass Band - Most (but not all) of their recorded stuff has no bass guitar, and I don't think they ever tour with a bass, just a guitar.

Also, Gap Band's "Dropped a Bomb on Me" is pretty classic.

Fun thread....

17. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    "Superfreak" - bass, synth or both?

Pretty sure Rick James didn't play it, regardless. Even tho he's holding a Rick on the cover IIRC.

18. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    "Superfreak" sounds like a bass to me...and then there was the Falco rip-off.

19. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Wasn't it done by MC Hammer?

20. Nah... I think you're thinking of that Vanilla Cube dude.