1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Great Bass Lines Not Recorded on Bass

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by jaywa, Mar 27, 2009.

1. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    The song "Chewing Gum," from the Elvis Costello album Spike.

Tuba.

2. This does have a bass guitar in it... but it is the sousaphone that steals the show in my opinion:

It is hard to be cooler than these guys.

3. mrufino1

mrufino1 Supporting Member

Aug 2, 2005
    Nutley, NJ
    I believe Superfreak is Oscar Allston (I think that's his name). He played most of the Rick James stuff, at least according to his interview in BP a few years ago. Also, My copy disappeared a long time ago, but I think Borderline is Anthony Jackson, then doubled with a synth bass. I remember reading that in the liner notes.

4. The Owl

The Owl

Aug 14, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    You're right, I stand corrected D'OH!

I was probably thinking of "Superwoman (Where Were You When I Needed You)" and "Higher Ground"

5. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    You can get really close to Boogie On Reggae Woman with a EHX Bass Micro Synth as demoed by Ed Freidland.

6. Good call...

Also, "Don't top Til You Get Enough" from "Off the Wall"

7. Higher Ground does have a bass in it, it just doesn't have that main riff going. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wZ3ZG_Wams It comes in at 0:08, and just plays E-G-A, while Stevie does the niftier riff on keys. It still has some nifty parts, and some good little fills.

I remember back in college when a friend said something like "Hey, I just found out that Stevie Wonder originally did 'Higher Ground.' It's way funkier then that Red Hot Chili Peppers song!" I then tried to explain how just because someone's playing slap bass in a rock song, it doesn't make it funky, but I think it was lost on him.

8. the bassline to Babylon Zoo's spaceman sounds very much like it was done using synth bass- very clipped and tight with its octave skip fills- it's quite powerful and driving despite being very simple.

9. LevinFan

LevinFan

Aug 4, 2008
    Louisville Ky
    I think the Fixx song "One Thing Leads To Another" was one of them

Pretty cool.

10. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    Both Chris and Matt use synths as well as bass and guitar in the studio, then use backing tracks or effects to pull it off live.

11. how about the kick ass synth bass on nights on broadway by the bee gee's! now that is a great line!

12. A lot of the Thriller bass lines were doubled on keys.

Most of everything Quincy produced is using mostly real musicians. Its funny how that big $20,000,000 production sound, make people think its mostly synth. Synths were brought in to get that cost down but as we know, it all had a down side especially for bassist.

Comment: Herbie Hancock made a very good point. Keyboard players that use synth to cover other "real" instruments don't think like drummers or bass players or guitarist, etc. That's why synth music "sound" synthy. There are so many subtle things that a real musician puts into their performance.

AS A BASSIST NEVER PRAISE THE SYNTH BASS LINE....EVER!-except Stevies

:bag:

13. Lately - Stevie Wonder

Not That Kind - Anastasia (Mutron-tastic!!)

14. MHensleyJr

MHensleyJr Supporting Member

May 5, 2008
    Redlands, CA
    depeche mode - "flys on the windscreen" from the black celebration album

15. Mcfunkinstein

Mcfunkinstein

Jun 22, 2008
    white stripes possibly cuz im pretty sure jack does them on his guitar

17. midbass

midbass

Jun 10, 2008
    But what's the difference really between going synth and true bass if you have the ability and money to do either??

I don't like the idea of synth *IF* a real bass could make all the same sounds, but I've heard some good synth basslines that stood up on there own.

18. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

How about this one? (Don't miss the solo starting at 4:34) Info on the band here.

19. I am pretty sure at least part "Time is Running Out" is a synth on the record. Listen to the way the notes pull up toward the next on the intro. Wolstenholme plays it live for sure on bass with distortion/effects, but listen close to the recording and see what you think.

20. Synth bass put US out of work and help speed the downfall of real instrument bassed music! The bullet and atom bomb were advancements in science as well!

:bag: