Great bass solos longer than 30sec..

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Suckbird, Jan 27, 2005.

1. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    Paul Goddard, Atlanta Rhythm Section, "Another Man's Woman". A really unique "musical" solo. I have stolen it many times.

2. +1 to all of the above - but I really like Wooten's 'live' solo on Sinister Minister from 'Live Art' - I bootlegged an even more ridiculous version of that when they played the UK in 2001 - his solo spot on the Hudson Music Drummers Collective/Bass Day 2003 DVD :smug: is pretty killin' as well.

3. hieronymous

hieronymous Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2002
    Northern CA
    Lemmy with Motorhead - great distortion-laden solo in "Stay Clean" from Overkill

Jeff Berlin with Kazumi Watanabe - "City" from Spice of Life

Jack Bruce with Frank Zappa - "Apostrophe'" from the album of the same name

Andy Fraser with Free - "Mr. Big" from Fire and Water

Philippe Bussonnet with Magma - amazing solo in the middle of the monumental "Mekanik Destruktiw Kommandöh" from Theusz Hamtaahk Trilogie (live in 2000)

That's all I can think of for now!

4. fallon

fallon

Jul 6, 2003
    Scotland
  5. Juan Nelson's solo in "Steal My Kisses" off 'Live from Mars' from Ben Harper grooves and shreads like no ones bizness for 44 secs.

:bassist:

6. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    AS DW said, "it's "Scorpio'".
    But I'm with you, 'Bo!

Babbitt's solo lasts about half of the tune's 3 minutes...and this was a Top-10 hit back in the early '70s!

Another hit with a 30+ seconds bass break/solo-
    "Everybody Dance" by Chic.

7. PunkerTrav

PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA

Agreed.

8. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

This is the only one of these solos I enjoy for some reason. For me any solo over 30 seconds = :rolleyes:

9. `ash

`ash

Feb 26, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Steve Miller Band - Shu-Ba Da Du Ma Ma

10. well I'm glad something I like is OK with you :p

11. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Bah to you sir, return to your Evanescences. Where ripoffery is key. :spit: :cool:

I just thought of a example of the kind of bass solo I like. Tommy The Cat by Primus. Seas of Cheese Version. Short, Sweet, and to the point.

12. While I think Amy is a little hottie.... it was your objection to Train that we had gone on about :p

13. BlackBassPlayer

BlackBassPlayer

Jan 4, 2005
    Well Orion by Metallica has a pretty long bass solo in it.

14. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Oh yeah, BAH TO YOU SIR! Return to your Train... where the singer (from my hometown OMG!!!!) makes me wanna throw up in a jar and mail it to him.

P.S.

Amy is hot. :bag:

15. g04t

g04t

Aug 16, 2004
    Sunnyvale, CA
    i second this.
    and since you mentioned one of my favorite bassists, the other being mr. trevor dunn,
    can you reccommend a manring album?

16. jusaplaya

jusaplaya

Dec 14, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Brown Eyed Blues - Juan Nelson has a solo that is almost 2 minutes long on the Live at the Hollywood Bowl EP by Ben Harper and the Innocent Criminals.

17. Yeah, because in Heavy Metal, when you play a groove that is actually heard , you call it a solo! :p

Serously, though, there is a solo on Orion. But if my memory serves me well, it's pretty darn short...?

18. Bill MacCormick's beyond-gorgeous solo on Quiet Sun's 'RongWrong'.

Who am I talking about? You may well ask. Check this out:

www.manzanera.com/QuietSun1.htm

19. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Just so you know, he's not talking about the bass break, there is a distorted/wahed solo after that which sounds like a guitar solo.

20. The Orion Solo stars aroudn 4 min into the song to my best memory, its nothing fast or loud, its melodic and the guitars cut in but it keeps goin a few mins.

Victor Wooten - Amazing Grace
    Les Claypool and the Holy Macrel - The Awankening
    Lots of stuff by Stu Hamm

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 19, 2021