Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Great basses for sale!

Discussion in '[OLD FORUM] Bass Guitars, Amps, and Accessories: F' started by TheGeneral, Oct 15, 2002.

1. Surine 5 string fretted $1500
    http://www.surinebasses.com/affinity-ii.shtml

A Surine 4 string unlined fretless, walnut body wings, ebony fingerboard.--email for details/pictures. $1300

Mike Lull vintage jazz 4 string: shoreline gold finish, maple fingerboard. Excellent condition with case $1300.

Email for more information--serious inquiries only.
    mtngoat70@yahoo.com

2. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    this is in no way in any offense to you but why to surine basses look so much like ken smiths. The body shape is similiar the headstock is almost identical, and the wood colors and combos is similiar. Was it an ex-luthier of smith or what.

3. Man, do I ever wish I had some $. My next bass WILL be a Quest Series II with Mahogany wings. Mmmm...:cool:

By the way, why are you selling these basses? Just need the cash?

4. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Maybe that's a question better suited for the folks at Surine basses. I can't see any reason to ask that of the seller other than to be inflammatory.

I think you need to look again though. The body shapes between this and a smith are different. Look at the horns for one thing. Surine basses are very distinct and I think if you saw it in person it might look much less like a Smith to you. The bodies on Surines are very wide...wider than almost any bass I've seen. Also...the headstock on that bass looks nothing like Ken Smith. I think you need to go back and re-examine your Smiths. As far as the similar wood combos?? Huh? Wake-up call: Mahogany and maple are not unique to Ken Smith basses. Mahogany/maple on a neck-thru are not unique to Ken Smith basses. Maybe you have some pic of a Ken Smith bass that looks just like this one but I've never seen one and none of his standard basses look like this either. If you do have a specific pic that you're thinking of I'd like to see it. Please post it here or send a link.

brad cook

5. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    The Surines remind me of a Smith in that they have relatively thin bodies and flat profiles. Other than that the bodies are very different and the headstocks bear no resemblance IMO.

My Surrine Protocol 7 had the widest solid body I think I've ever seen.

The bodies remind me of a Travis Bean, the headstocks are Ovation-esque:)

6. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    True about the Surine wideness...

I've never seen a Travis Bean. I agree though about the headstock being "Ovation-esque."

brad cook

7. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    Can't the man ask a question without being bullied;)

8. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    True, I took it to mean he was looking for a Smith connection, not criticizing.

9. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    No.

brad cook

:confused:

10. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    Well, at least thank you for your honesty:p

11. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Sorry if I seemed to be bullying. It just seemed to me like the question was a bit inflammatory despite the "no offense" disclaimer. Why would TheGeneral know why "surine basses look so much like ken smiths"? The claims just seemed kinda exaggerated and incitive.

I apologize to hyperlitem if that was not your intent and if you were truly just curious and thought that TheGeneral might have the answers. I hope you'll forgive me if my response was too strong.

brad cook

12. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    Forgive me for butting in [even though this is a public board]. I'm not speaking on behalf of the General, just myself. I get annoyed when talkbassers go off-topic in my posts, especially my "for sale" posts.

13. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    point taken, I apoligize General

14. i feel that the surines do kind of remind me of the old Smith BT body style somewhat, although there are obvious differences.