Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Great Basses from the Great White North.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by AxtoOx, Jan 13, 2006.

1. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    I've been introduced to many new brands since I have started here @ TB. Two stand outs are F Bass and Dingwall, both made in Canada. Now my main 5er is an F Bass and my main 4 is a Dingwall.
    When did this start? Am I missing any? How do you like your Canadian Bass?

2. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    Wow, I like that and I don't usually get excited by customs.

3. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    Very nice looking work!

4. basses55

basses55 Gold Supporting Member

Jul 24, 2003
    Toronto
    Endorsing Artist: Alleva Coppolo
    I do love my Fs....and those Vadims are pretty nice too. They definately are a more modern tone..and they play really well. I think he only makes 15-20 (?) intruments a year if that so they're pretty rare.
    I hear nothing but good things from Dingwall owners....so we do have our share of bass nirvana around here.

Cheers,Mitch

5. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    My two Dingwalls are my pride and joys! Honestly, I have not played a better bass than a Dingwall. People are often intimidated by the fanned frets, but it takes about two seconds to get used to and once you do, you are treated to the clearest sounds; it's like night and day. You will not beat the B on a Dingwall.

6. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    I didn't get a 5 out of my love for my F Bass, the fanned frets caused me to ask some questions but for real I just picked it up and stated playing just fine, and I can switch back and forth no problem.

7. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    The more and more I play the Dingwalls exclusively, I am finding it is almost harder going back to straight frets. I can do it no problem, but I notice more fatigue in my left hand when playing the "regular" basses.

Yes, Godin make nice instruments too. Good value for the money. I've got an A4 fretless and it sounds and play great.

8. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Of course Canada produces great basses. That's where all the damn trees are! Hmmm...I almost forgot to mention the maple syrup.

I recall seeing a headless Lado bass used by the bassist in Honeymoon Suite. Nice looking piece but I have not seen one since.

Riis

9. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC