1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Great basses with 18mm bridge spacing

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Eric Perry, May 9, 2006.

1. Well, the title pretty much says it all.

I'm trying to sell one of my basses with 19mm spacing. I just couldn't really get into it.

I have a Conklin Groove Tools with 17mm spacing that is just a tad too tight.

I have a Yamaha RBX765A with 18mm spacing that is juuust right.

I'll be willing to spend 1,000-1,500 on a new one. New or used, it doesn't matter. I'd actually prefer used..... More bass for da buck!

And, FYI, I'm def. not interested in a G&L, Stingray, Fender, Bongo, etc., etc. Not saying they aren't great basses, just saying it's not my thang.

Thanks in advance.

Eric

2. Geoff St. Germaine

Geoff St. Germaine Commercial User

Dingwall.

PickupsClose.

3. I have never played one, and to be honest, the fanned frets scare me! :meh:

4. What about one of the higher-end Yamahas?

5. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    What about a Roscoe?

6. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    Wal is 18mm on the 5's. Tobias bolt on's are 17.5 for their 5's.

How many strings you looking for?

7. How many strings?
    The Ibanez BTB series has 18mm on the 5s and 6s if I remember correctly. Also, if you like the feel of Yammy's, + to Iota, def try out some of the upscale TRBs.

8. Looking for a 5-string.

NJL, the Roscoes are DEFINITELY in the running. Aren't some 19mm though?

A higher end Yamaha is also being considered. I love my RBX765.

I'm not a Ken Smith fan. He's on here alot (or at least used to be). I really don't think he's a very nice person at all. That alone will shy me away. Not a fan of his styling, anyway. Not digging on his basses, I have no doubt they are great instruments. It's just not an area I choose to go.

I do like the BTBs, but they are 19mm, no?

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the input.

Eric

9. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    All Smiths 5-strings are 18 mm and the most comfortable 5-strings I have come across. I have had MTDs 535, Sadowskys 5-24s, Yamahas TRB, etc. and the Smith has won in playability and string spacing.

About the man himself: yeah, I hear you. I personally think his got very strong opinions, and may lack some charm when writing, but his basses are what really matters - I'm a fan. Besides what he might seem like in these forums, I think he still offers above-average customer service.

BTW, Mike Lull's 5-strings are also 18 mm.

And Nino Valenti can build you an excellent J-style bass with 18 mm.

10. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    1) Yes, but it's an added cost (i'm paying extra for mine to be 19mm)

2) Ditto :D (we'll get flammed for this)

11. LOL

1) I did not know that. I will no doubt look into this! Oh Gaa-aard...

2) Anyone that has read some of his posts on here has no grounds and/or right to flame. Ya know, there are people like Carey Nordstrand, JP, Cliff Bordwell, etc. that post on here that are nice as hell, or people like Bill Conklin who I have spoken to several times. He's a genuinely nice guy. Then there are people like Mr. Smith that thinks his poop doesn't stink. I personally have no time, desire, or inclination to deal with his arrogance... or his basses, regardless of how good they may be.

Anywho... Thanks for the tip, man! I appreciate it.

12. Geoff St. Germaine

Geoff St. Germaine Commercial User

Too bad.

13. :meh: