Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Great Bassist`s worst basslines

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by mike lead, Dec 11, 2003.

1. I was wondering witch are the worst basslines by great bassist. Lines made by artist that used to make great basslines, but they )(/&%$"· on one song.

I`ll start sayin that I never dig "Donna Lee". Some of you might want to kill me... But it`s boring for me. It`s like an endless bass solo. I never heard it complete without playing the bass meanwhile. I know it was like "wow" in the moment. But it bores me...

Also, I vote for Les`s "Is it luck?"... The bass line(and the song too) SUCKS!!!! I hate it...

Do you have any?

2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    dont mean to pick, but why do you have a quote from is it luck if you hate it so much

just kidding

anyway Jump has i pretty lame bassline if i remember corerectly.

anything Linkin Park

3. Coypu

Coypu Banned

Feb 24, 2003
    Sweden
    Jaco didn't write donna lee so I don't think anyone can blame you for that one.

The bassplayer in Ark is very good but some of the basslines on "just a little" are abit over the top.

4. Good thread...

As much as I love James Jamerson, he did play a few clunkers in his time at Motown. His bass line on Stevie Wonder's version of Dylan's 'Blowin' in the Wind' just doesn't do it for me. Now that I think about it, the entire tune is hideous.

5. The lyrics are cool, well, they are not very poetic, but i like it..:D

6. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Wait...

nevermind.

7. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    also when i saw the deftones on the summer sanitarium tour i did not notice anything exceptional from chi cheng.

actually i could not hear anything besides chino screaming and a wall of guitar-bass-keyboard-drum sound

8. The bassline for "Symphony of Destruction" by Megadeth. Dave Ellefson is awesome, no doubt, but this line has I think about 3 notes in....over and over.

9. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Sting's line on "Every Breath You Take."

10. Completly agree

11. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Your kidding? That's one of those basslines that I consider simple but great. Dave is one of those bassists who can tear it up, but plays what the song calls for.

12. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    run like hell - pink floyd,
    running with the devil- van halen

anybody who only follows guitar

13. It's not really a "bad" bassline....I just think he could have done something a lot better...IMO....but a lot of people like it....It's just my opinion

14. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I had to think for a while on this one, and I think Ron Carter's least successful bassline's on Gil Scott-Heron's "The Revolution Will Not be Televised" on the album Pieces of a Man. Otherwise, the whole album is a masterpiece, especially Ron's playing on electric(!)

"Revolution" is a great song because the lyric carries it and it's more of a beat poem than a song, so there's no real chord progression. It works as a spontaneous jam, but that's it.

15. Do you guys use tabs? I've got the Rust in Peace album of Megadeth and I have really problems to hear that bass at some parts. I havn't heard any album or "original" songs of them exept this one, only medium quality mp3s.

@ abark000 do you think that either Roger Waters or the Van Halen bassists were any good compared to other famous bassists?

P.S. sorry my english is really bad

16. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    John Wetton's "Heat of the moment" (Asia).

17. I unfortunately do use tabs, however, I have the official book transcribed by Dave himself. The bass on "Rust In Peace" is, unfortunately, very difficult to hear. Much easier on later albums (e.g. Countdown to Extinction, Youthenasia, etc..).

18. Anyone else dislike magic bus? Not for the song, but for the line.

19. I wouldn't say it's a bad bassline. It's very simple, but it carries the song nicely. John could have probably done something more technical, but it suited the song.

20. I don't dislike Magic Bus at all, it really does serve the song, it's a nice simple groove with a filling sound.
    I used the Magic Bus groove (in Am7) at a band practice recently...one of the guitarists said it sounded very Primus?!