1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Great Bassist that you DON'T like

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Cerio, Apr 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cerio

Cerio

Apr 7, 2006
    My votes goes for:

-Victor Wooten: Possibly the most talented technician-oriented bassist in the world, but his solo recordings and his chops tends to getting me boring. Great musician if not trying to impress anybody, IMHO.
    -Stanley Clarke: I love him when playing double bass (his acoustic recordings with Chic Corea Return to Forever are simply terrific) , but he seems to me like a frustated guitarist on electric. I also don't like his tone.
    -Billy Shennan: Another frustated guitarist with weak tone and a remarkable tendence to say nothing. (BTW I'd love saying nothing like him)
    -Stu Hamm: Great armonic chops, but I don't like his "guitarism"
    -John Myung: His songs with Dream T sounds to me like a "I play faster than you" contest.
    -Marcus Miller: A very supportive player years ago, but he seems having lost the Nort, IMHO.

I hope not to offend anybody. Obviously I think these are all very talented players who deserves much respect. It just their styles don't fit on my ears. Just curious...

2. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    I see this thread going well.........

:bag:

3. Diego

Diego

Dec 9, 2005
    San Francisco, CA

+1

I would add Steve Bailey: wonderful chops, muddy, undefined sound.

4. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    At least make it interesting & different than the usual fare around here-
    Like...name the album where you think these guys "Jumped The Shark".

5. Jaco
    Wooten

talentless hacks

6. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Larry Graham
    Louis Johnson
    Mark King
    Slapping? :rollno: Spare me. How about wankage! Play the damn bass with some class and dignity! :mad: This alledged technique has spawned a generation of players who don't even know the basics! Players like Wooten, Miller, and McBribe, although McBride shows some promise.

7. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    +100

Wait... I can see it coming... the "the Beatles are overrated and what's so good about Paul McCartney?" post... any time now... here... it... comes...

8. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    I'm not saying anything negative about these guy personally and non of them are considered "great". I don't know them and all of them are probably better than me but if you must ask...

1. Robert Trujillo: Very talented guy but don't like his vibe at all. Can't watch him. I hate that I'm a BADASS attitude. Your not a BAdASS your a Bass Player. Real BadAsses fight in rings or battlefields and much of the time do it for a living or to stay alive. You play a bass for a living. Hardly what I consider bad ass.

2. Gene Simmons: Muisc is ok but it's so obvious it's all about $$. Of course he made a lot of it. Should write a business / marketing book and put down the bass. But again he has made a fortune on limited talent and has a great business mind. I can't see him laughing all the way to the bank because he seems to have no sense of humor.

3. Fiedly: Nothing I can say that hasn't already been said.

4. Mark Hoppus: I'll give this guy credit. He knows he isn't that good but he is laughing all the way to the bank. Good for him. I respect that.

9. Diego

Diego

Dec 9, 2005
    San Francisco, CA

+500!

10. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA

Now that would be "blasphamy" and we would have to call a Jihad.

11. when I (finally) saw Stanley, I was disappointed because he seemed to be rushing stuff and his intonation was not spot on (for that, check out George Mraz)

Billy Sheehan

Allen Woody - never liked his tone and the fact that he played with a pick.

12. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005

13. paulraphael

paulraphael

Apr 13, 2006
    Brooklyn
    If you heard me play, you'd stop reading what I write.
    I'm sympathetic to the original post. I haven't listened to Shehan or Hamm much, so I can't comment.

But the others are on my short list of frustrating players. Frustrating because they are obviously immensly talented ... genius-level talented ... but their musical tastes so often rub me the wrong way.

Victor is amazing as a soloist. But so are most circus acts, and I don't usually go out of my way to go to the circus. I love his supportive playing with Bella Fleck. And I admit that when he comes to town, I'll go see his solo act (the circus is fun once in a while). But man, what he could do if he had some more musical direction ...

Stanley always bummed me out in the same way, but worse. I do like him better on upright, but I've heard a lot less of it.

14. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH

15. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Cliff Burton was a great player, but he's the only great who sounds like a frustrated guitarist to me.

16. flatwoundfender

flatwoundfender

Feb 24, 2005
    Jaco always sounds like a frustrated saxaphone player to me.
    and I agree about Cliff.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.