Great Bassists recordings

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by RAM, Jun 6, 2000.

1. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I'm looking for some recommendations to expand my horizons. I've already done extensive Geddy, Entwistle, Squire, Jaco, Jeff Berlin, etc.

Now there are a couple of bassists I'd like to get more familiar with. Specifically, Jack Cassidy, Jack Bruce, James Jamerson, and Duck Dunn.

If people could list some of their favorite recordings with these 4 artists so I can pick them up, I'd appreciate it!

Please keep it to these 4, however.
  2. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Marvin Gaye's WHAT'S GOIN' ON album; honestly, think about picking up STANDING IN THE SHADOWS OF MOTOWN-it's a book/cds package with bio & scores/examples of Jamerson's playing.

Jack Bruce-
    Probably any of the Cream WHEELS OF FIRE or DISRAELI GEARS.

Duck Dunn-
    His work with Booker T. & The MGs...there also a book/cd/tape called "What Duck Dunn"; not nearly as extensive as Jamerson's book, still decent, though.

Jack Casidy-
    Jefferson Airplane-SURREALISTIC PILLOW

3. iloveloosey

iloveloosey Guest

Sep 9, 2000
    Jamerson, definately the "Standing in the Shadows" set; but try to find the original performances, too!!!!
    favs: It's a Shame, Darling Dear, Home Cookin', For Once In My Life, What's Happening Brother, etc.

Bruce, ditto

Dunn, ditto

Casady, boxed set "Jefferson Airplane Loves You", because "Pillow" is way too early in his career to give some of his more complex and inventive lines (e.g. would you rather listen to "Please Please Me" or "Abbey Road"?)
    favs: Things are Better in the East, Refoyce, See Her Ride, Lather, etc.
  4. the Qintar

the Qintar

Jul 24, 2000
    i can only recomend you to give a listen to...... mike watt
  5. gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    For Jack Bruce, I'd give a listen to Wheels of Fire from Cream, then go on to his solo material. Pick up: Songs From a Tailor, Harmony Row, and How's Tricks?. I think if you listen to Jack from a composing point of view, you'll get a better understanding of what he does.