1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Great bassists who use both Precision and Jazz (regularly)

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Govner22, Sep 26, 2013.

1. Govner22

Govner22

Jan 19, 2013
    Just a casual topic, but does one have to either be a P or a J player? Of course not, but most seem to be. Which great bassists use both? (To narrow it down I'm keeping it to Fender but all replies welcome!)

2. Oteil Burbridge uses both pretty regularly. I'm sure they're are many, many others.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Paul Turner from Jamiroquai, Justin Meldal-Johnsen (though he may not count since he uses one of everything ;) ), um...that's all I can think of right now.

4. I'll throw a few from memory -
    Jeff Ament
    Sting
    Geddy Lee (not much use of the P, but...)
    Chris Chaney
    Guy Pratt

5. 1960jbass

1960jbass

Mar 28, 2013
    Berwick, PA
    Both John Entwistle and Geddy Lee have used both P & J basses. John Paul Jones though mostly a J player in the early Led Zep days would pull out a fretless P for certain numbers. There's nothing wrong in playing both. It's all about what you're comfortable with. Personally I love both and own both.

6. John Lodge used a Precision in his early days with the Moody Blues, but then switched to a Jazz later on.

7. the low one

the low one

Feb 21, 2002
    UK
    Adam Clayton of U2 switches between the two all the time

8. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Sting used to switch between a fretless Precision and a Jazz when he in the Police.

9. 6stringpanda

6stringpanda

Aug 9, 2013
    +1 Love the Moody Blues.

10. Jungy

Jungy

Jun 9, 2011
    Oz
    Dee Murray.

11. Govner22

Govner22

Jan 19, 2013
    Great players indeed, thanks! (Remember, they can't just pick up the "other" bass for a couple of songs to qualify...)

12. +1 on John Lodge.

In recent years, Geezer Butler has been bringing out a few Jazzes as well as his usual P's and P/J's. I've seen him with various 4-string J's in Black Sabbath as well as a 5-string Lakland J with Heaven & Hell.

It's been a while since he used either, but Cliff Williams used a few P's in his early time with AC/DC as well as Jazz basses for the For Those About To Rock/The Razor's Edge world tours.