great bassists with lousy tones...

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Every1TookMyName, Jul 28, 2001.

1. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Chris Squire (well, I think so anyway!)
    Bill Dickens
    Steve Swallow

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    DT's John Myung, good player, but I don't like his sound, especially live.

Oteil Burbridge, at least in his Bass Day 98 video. I like a trebly sound, but this was too much.

Stu Hamm since he replaced his Kubicki with his Fender Urge (I know that's gonna fan some flames, but it's my personal opinion, the Kubicki sounded WAY WAY better!)
  3. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Ah, yes, how could I forget Myung?!

Yeah, Burbridge has very good tone, but in the video, it's WAY to metallic.
  4. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    hmm, i guess i don't listen to too many bassists with bad tone. I can't think of any. I was going to post chris squire, but that was already posted.
  5. I forgot Roger Waters... don't get me wrong, I worship the guy, but his tone on Dark Side of the Moon and Wish You Were Here wasn't very good at all...
  6. Traveler

Jun 26, 2001
    Greenwood, AR.
    But I loved the bassline to Money...............
  7. Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    I agree with Claypool and Squire but would like to formally elect Mark King. Great player, gutless tone.

Stu Hamm... yeah, he did sound better with the Kubicki.
  8. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    Myung, definitely. And Billy Sheehan....
  9. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    those 2 get my votes too.
  10. BassistJ

Mar 20, 2001
    Hemet, CA USA
    I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say...

Stanley Clarke.

Too damn nasely, no balls at all. Like he was trying to get a "modern" upright tone on his bass guitar. Just my opinion.
  11. JimK

Dec 12, 1999 shoulda heard him pre-Alembic(what was Clarke playin' then, a Gibson EB-O?). The guys from Alembic heard Clarke & invited him to check out one of their 'first' axes.
    FWIW, I've read about this in a Guitar Player mag years ago...I can only imagine hearing Clarke do what he does on an EB-O...yecchhhhh! ;)
    (Sorry if anyone is a fan of those logs). ;)

BTW, though I haven't heard Clarke lately(on 'gadget' bass, that is), I did like his Funky tone on those early albums("Lopsy Lu", etc).
  12. Oteil Burbridge bad tone? man thats a laugh.I was at bass day 98 and oteils tone was amazing.
    p e a c e
  13. im gonna have to disagree with claypool. i find his tone to be most excellent. plus he plays with hoppus-like proficiency, so any tone he uses would sound good. speaking of which, mark hoppus has an excellent tone, and when combined with his incredible finesse and control of the isntrument, is amazing.
  14. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    That may have been, at least they couldn't capture it on the video. Or they screwed up when they converted it from NTSC to PAL.
  15. That has to be it because his tone was really good as i recall.
    p e a c e
  16. cole

Sep 14, 2000
    Geddy Lee (85-91) and Justin Chamberlain. (I guess I don't like the sound of Wals)
  17. geezersbitch

Jul 28, 2001
    i dont know u people are talking about claypool's tone is awesome, and mark hoppus licks butthole. if you want to hear great tone and great playing (if your into this sort of music anyway) listen to tools justin chancellor, that is a great musician.
  18. CNut

May 22, 2000
    Montgomery, AL
    I think Claypool made a wrong move when he went to Oysterhead because his bass doesn't fit in too well with Trey and the drummer from the Police. Claypool is awesome but he needs to learn that there is more to bass than slapping. Fieldy needs to learn the same thing. And hoppusdisciple I'm very sorry to burst you bubble but Claypool and Hoppus don't sound anything alike and Hoppus doesn't compare to Claypool. One slaps and pops and plays all over the bass in one song while one plays with a pick and plays about 5 chords per song. Here's somebody to compare Hoppus to the bassist for mxpx. Who sounds better? I don't know because the whole time it's eighth notes and they sound exactly the same.IF you want to compare Claypool to somebody compare him to Flea. I personally think Flea sounds better because he does a lot more than slapping.
  19. I did too... thats one of my favorite bass lines ever! And Roger Waters is my favorite bassist (he shares the position with Colin Greenwood from Radiohead), but I just don't like his tone. Its like what that other guy was saying.. it just lacks balls. It sounds too airy, if that makes any sense.