Great BigEast battle last night

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by ZuluFunk, Jan 21, 2003.

1. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001

Some of you know I'm a Miami alumnus. Of course, football's over for now. I've still got hoops.

Not a marqee team, but Darius Rice is amazing. And what a great game last night defeating #8 UCONN. The Canes led early but squandered the buffer shortly after I finished giving my kid a bath and started actually paying attention to the game (of course). Down by 4 with about 8 seconds left, Miami's Surratt drove for what seemed to be a futile lay-up for two. UCONN rushed the in bound pass with 4 clicks left, which was increadibly intercepted by Rice. He stepped over the arch and put up a clean 3 pointer with like 0.000something seconds left.

One of those amazing jump up and down, scare everyone in the house, spill stuff wins.
  2. Yeah, as a huge University of Connecticut fan I won't be forgetting that one anytime soon. One of the greatest NCAA games I have ever had the priviledge of watching. (Of course my fav. ever was watching Richard Hamilton, Khalid El-Amin and company defeat the heavily favored Duke Blue Devils for the national title in '99)

Of all Big East teams in the past 3 or 4 years, the Hurricanes have played us as well as anyone, REGARDLESS of their record. I don't even know if Miami will be in the NCAA's (they will have to get REAL hot), but they basically clinched some sort of postseason (pending a huge shutdown in the future).

Miami needs MAJOR refinement, but they have an incredible amount of athletic ability on their team, and that will lead to upsets.

Darius Rice looks like a raw Kevin Garnett, and if he returns to Miami next year (which I believe he should) he will battle Carmelo Anthony of my hometown Syracuse Orangemen for the honor of best player in the Big East.

Overall, it's great to see UM competitive in now TWO major sports. (Baseball doesn't really count; it only really exists in the South and West).
  3. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
  4. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    Chris...I guess last time it was a missed buzzer-beater that preserved the win for the Huskies over I made out on the other end of the emotional spectrum. Sorry to bring it up. But it is basketball, not Football...I really appreciate the Basketball system more and more over football. Going undefeated is an increadible feat; losing once in 1 and a half years is amazing. However, it was still painful.

If Miami can get to the NIT it will be a bonus. They're at the bottom of the Eastern BigEast Bracket. I just htink they must match up well with UCONN. They also took it to UNC a few weeks ago. We've still got Syracuse, Providence x2, St. John's x2, Villanova x2, Virginia Tech x2, Boston College x2, and Georgetown remaining. A strong showing will move the Canes up in the standings and earn a shot at the BigEast tournament. Who knows?

When Leonard Hamilton jumped ship I was a bit discouraged. I think the program is showing some life though.

Miami should be able to recruit well so they'll always keep some strong local talent and pull in a few who prefer hanging out on SoBe or Calle Ocho sunnin' over the current conditions in Storrs, East Lansing, or Bloomington. I think if they continue on the path they seem to be on, they can get back in to the tourney.

Rice will be long gone though. I agree with the comparison to Garnett too.
  5. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio