Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Great Canadian F Bass Hype (Please post some F-Bass pictures)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassballs27, Mar 26, 2004.

1. bassballs27

bassballs27 Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Hello Everybody,

I would like to know what the gigantic hype is with the F-Bass?

I know they're excellent instruments, I've played a few. Not to mention I live very close to the factory where each F-Bass is born! Now I ask myself, why the heck don't I own one?

There are so many wonderful bass manufacturers in U.S.A. and Canada (other parts of the world too, U.K., Germany, etc) :)

My question is, what makes the F-Bass stand out above the rest? Is it build quality, custom designed electronics, great tone woods, look and feel, live/studio prescence, the tone you've seeked for a long time, etc?

Please........feel free to state your opinion.

Thanks in advance to all who post! :bassist:

2. Well I've been through a lot of basses in my time, and hadn't found one that really suited me in all areas, until I played an F! Since I've been playing mine, most of the compliments on the sound of my basses come from soundmen and studio engineers. Plus George is a very reachable man.

3. Jordan

Jordan

Feb 22, 2004
    George F. really goes the extra mile to make sure his customer are pleased. He'll get on the phone and listen to your suggestions, and he really does listen! I was quite frankly amazed at how well George personally treats his customers!

The F Basses really are well thought out and versatile. They are also works of art! In one bass you have passive / active toggle, single coil / humbucker toggle, 3 band eq and high roll off (that works in active mode as well as passive, like Sadowksy).

Jordan

4. bassballs27

Aug 12, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    hexbass,

I've been hearing a lot of these from many bass players.
    The F-Bass seems to be one of the best all around basses.
    How many other hand made basses have you been through before you decided to stick with the F-bass?

5. bassballs27

Aug 12, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    F Basses seem to have a lot of versatility.
    Cool.

How is the Sustain on an F-Bass?

6. The basses that stick out in my dim memory; 2 custom made Alembics (great sound just too heavy w/neck dive) a Bossa OB6 custom (wish I still had it, similar workmanship to an F) a Graphite Guitar Systems 5 custom (don't think they are around anymore) a nice Warwick Thumb 6 (again I loved the tone, hated the weight. Book some time at Georges shop, if you are that close, and get some pics of my new custom BN6 spalt monster!! :D

7. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    For me, F-Basses stand out for all of the above reasons. In 18 years of playing I've never found a bass that's as comfortable and playable. I'm really impressed by the design--it looks classic without being a ripoff of any other shape, and they were one of the first companies to make a totally plastic-free bass.

And the sound! Unlike nearly every other high-end bass with active electronics I've played (including MTD, Modulus, Zon, Ken Smith, and Lakland) I feel like George put an enormous amount of thought/energy into making passive mode a tone zone unto itself, not just a dead-battery afterthought. I actually play my BN-5 in single-coil passive mode about 75% of the time. And somehow the ash/maple combo is warmer than other basses I've played with the same woods.

Minor complaints: No threaded inserts for control cavity screws, no stamped serial # (just a sticker), neck needs regular truss tweaks with light strings. Major complaint: No factory-fit hardshell case. All in all, just about perfect for my needs (jazz, Latin, funk, pop). I'm definitely interested in checking out all the other delectable instruments in the F-Bass stable.

8. bassballs27

Aug 12, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    hexbass,

I guess your other bass is a BN6 too?

I'd rather book some time with George when I have enough money to make a down payment!

George is great on responding to e-mails..........I'm sure he'd send you progress pictures of your new creation.

9. I've got a natural BN5 and it's the most comfortable bass I own. It has a nice workable and versatile sound and the playability is excellent. The finish is gorgeous - I don't know what George F. does to the ash bodies to make the grain stand out so much, but it looks great. The attention to detail is stunning, particularly the matching wooden pickup covers and control knobs.

10. bassballs27

Aug 12, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    winston,

I'd really like to put my Zon Sonus 5 Special and my Elrick Gold Standard 5 up against an F-Bass.........

Apparently, it tough to beat the Sonus Special in the sustain department.......especially for a bolt-on.

I'm trying to sell my Zon to gather funds for an 'F'

I'm also trying to assure that I won't have any regrets selling my Zon.

11. Winston,
    I believe that George stamps the serial # in the bottom of the pup cavity.
    Bassballs,Yeah I've got a custom BN6 that is going to live in Tokyo when my new one gets here, and a beauty of an A.C.6 that will be going to Canada for a pre amp refit soon :hyper:

12. bdgotoh

bdgotoh Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2002
    Pacific NW
    My BN-4 has great sustain and is super flexible tonewise even with just volume, pan pot and passive tone knobs. Lightweight without sacrificing sound quality, excellent balance, comfortable to play, it's just got it all!

[​IMG]

13. bassballs27

Aug 12, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Cool bass bdgotoh,

What's the colour called?

BN-4's seem to be a rare bass.

14. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    YES!

15. bassballs27

Aug 12, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Taking any trades on F-Basses Adrian? LOL!

Do you really 'solely' like F-Basses?

16. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    no trades at this time, i am waiting for F bass stock..
    no, i dont solely like F basses, i have a Nordstrand on the way ( see link below) and I just picked up a Zon Special fretless that I love! and i am extremely curious about how the fretteds sound- i have a couple on order- each of those basses offers something different and good.

17. bassballs27

Aug 12, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I've heard good things about Carey Nordstand's Basses......they look really nice.....

I'm sure you'd like the fretted Sonus Special just as much.
    Definitely cuts like a knife through the mix.......and ads a little extra. I might regret selling it.

I hope you enjoy your new Nordstand!

18. funkcicle

funkcicle

Jan 9, 2004
    Asheville, NC
    for those of us who are uninformed(me;) ), could somebody please elaborate on "F-bass"? Website? resources? I know the term "f-bass" as a term for a certain design style, but am unfamilliar with this manufacturer.

Thanks!

19. www.fbass.com
    Or do a google and see some neat Japanese sites

20. bdgotoh

bdgotoh Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2002
    Pacific NW
    Thanks, I think it's Lake Placid Blue. I bought it used that color but my understanding is that it's a refin and the original color was trans red. Can't really tell, it's a pro job. I first saw it on page 4 of the gallery on the F bass website, a year or so later it was mine! BN-4s are somewhat rare, George didn't make any for a number of years because he had trouble keeping up with demand for 5 strings. I think he just started making 4 strings again last year.
    Here's the link for George's site: http://www.fbass.com