1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Great CL Find... a near mint '96 Hamer USA Cruise Bass 2tek V

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by atrapp, Apr 9, 2009.

1. atrapp

atrapp

Dec 4, 2006
    Taichung, Taiwan
    What a sweet bargain of a bass these 2tek Cruises are!

For a 13 yo bass this one is sure minty fresh, save for one ding near the neck volume knob it'd be perfect!

clicky in the pretty fotos for full screen loveliness!

IMG_3242.
    IMG_3243.
    IMG_3244.
    IMG_3251.
    IMG_3250.

2. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Incredible basses. I'd love to have one myself.

3. atrapp

atrapp

Dec 4, 2006
    Taichung, Taiwan
    so much bang for the buck... how much of a sin would be to mod the pups to a set of Nordy DC's?

4. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    I personally wouldn't do it, but if it works for you. I think that the pickups in those basses are great actually.

5. atrapp

atrapp

Dec 4, 2006
    Taichung, Taiwan
    this thing came with 4 string J exposed pole pups... how silly is that? Traded a set of DiMarzio Ultras for the EMG's in the fotos - and voila - it looks stock again!

6. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Ha! Very cool. Do you know are they the same EMG's that came in the bass originally? I don't know what model they used in the basses but I liked them a lot.

7. atrapp

atrapp

Dec 4, 2006
    Taichung, Taiwan
    dunno, there were some with Duncan Basslines and others with EMG actives - no pre. I am thinking if installing an aggie opb2, although I may just leave it be as I truly don't think this Cruise will supplant My Ritter, Benavente, Nordy, Sadowsky, Roscoe and Modulus quiver of boutique basses, no what I mean.

8. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Holy crap, was that PDX CL, just like this morning or something? How did I miss it? Dude, if you eventually get bored with it please PM me.

9. atrapp

atrapp

Dec 4, 2006
    Taichung, Taiwan
    no sweat, I doubt I'll keep it for long.

I picked it up last Saturday... did you see the MarkBass mini 12 combo for $275 today... just missed it.

10. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    The one I have already is the same but blond and de-fretted, with the stock "custom wound" Duncan Basslines. I love those pups actually--they're not the J tone that "everyone" wants, but they're exactly the tone that I want. Full, thick, noiseless, and capable of either smooth or snarly depending on the strings.

11. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    Killer score! The Cruise Bass made my "Short List" of Jazz-type basses to upgrade to, but to lack of Maple fretboards and the sheer weight of the 2-Tek bridge dropped it down a touch.

I wish Hamer "reinvested" in their bass lines and restarted production on the 2nd generation Cruise Bass, the Chaparral/Chaparral Max, Impact, and perhaps even the Scarab for us old-school Def Leppard fans. :help:

12. stingray56funk

stingray56funk Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta
    Awesome score! They did offer Seymour Duncan exposed pole pieces on the 5 string Cruisebass along with EMGs and Basslines. It looks beautiful!!!