GREAT deals that cost a fortune?!?!?!?!?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Tim Cole, Sep 19, 2005.

1. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Man, I have no luck! This is the perfect story to my way of doing things....thought you might enjoy. (Maybe I need a blog or something?)

A couple months ago when picking up my help for work, I saw a car stereo sub box and amp at a garage sale. I stopped back by, and thought it was a steal for $25 for a rockford fosgate 15" sub, and some cheap $250 watt amp! So, why not right?

Here's why: The box was home made, and it sucked. I HAD to go buy a nice new enclosure, that I found used at a local audio shop for $45. Still into this deal pretty cheap right?

I got it hooked up to find there was too low of impedance draw on my stock cd player in the truck, it would make the stereo shut off. So I thought what the heck....I've got a few extra bucks, let's get the wife to take me to the chain she works, so I can get a new cd player. With her discount, I can get out of there pretty cheap....right? Wrong.....being the gear snob I can be, I just HAD to have the top of the line alpine CD kicks ass....the CDA-9855! The marked price is $479, but with her discount, I can get it with tax, and all the adaptors and accessories I need for a quite nice discount. Add that to the $25 I spent at the garage sale, the $40 for the new box, and I should still have a great sounding stereo system for cheap!

I get it all hooked up to find that the amp isn't powerful enough to get the job headroom, and sounds like arse. So, back to best buy we go, and I come home with a $229 Kenwood amp. NOW it is sounding better, I also got a fair discount on the amp, so we're still doing alright!

But wait....this deal sure would sound better if I got rid of that sloppy old 15, and got a more current 12" sub. So I find a deal on a nice JL Audio 12w-3 (12" sub) in a nice Rockford Fosgate enclosure. Got it for like $100 shipped off ebay....what a score!

It sounds pretty good for a while, but starts to fart. Hmm, the enclosure might not be sealed? So I tear it all apart and reseal the heck out of it. Now we're back in business! For about a week, when I somehow managed to partially blow the surround out around the sub. I take it out, it's all pretty clean, so I use contact cement adhesive to fix it up.

On the way home from my last gig, I was rockin' pretty good on the way home. I turn the volume down, and hear an awful attle. Not only did the repair not hold, it ripped about 3/4 the way around.

So.....I order a new Alpine Type R 12" sub for it, and got it today. Hooked it up, it all sounds great, and we're set finally! I needed to go get some groceries anyway, so I thought I'd go this evening so I can check out my new stereo system, all top notch and good to go now.

Now, we know things can't always have a happy ending right? Sitting at a stop light 1/4 mile from my house, I notice a smell...then SMOKE, and LOTS of it! Apparently I used too light of a gauge for a power wire to the amp, because it burnt the living hell out of it!

Luckily, everything works A-OK still. On my SILENT ride home, I got to thinking about that original sub and amp (which is sitting in my computer room unused right behind me, not being used for quite some time), and how much time, money, and PAINS that BARGAIN has cost me!

Every single piece of the new stuff I bought for this $25 BARGAIN is now on ebay, and out of my life! I will gladly go back to my stock cd player, and be thankful it doesn't cost me so much. I thought a backup head to my 70's SVT would be money MUCH better spent, so it is all going to be gone soon.

Anyone else had something like this turn into a nightmare?

Also, if anyone wants the original 15" sub and amp, I will GLADLY pass on the BARGAIN I got it for......$25 :D
  2. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    hey dork...I have a couple of 10s (maybe...not sure on the size) in small boxes, that were made to fit behind truck seats
    (I used em in my 91 Ranger, that I bought new, if that is any indication of the age). They sounded damn good back then. You can have em if you promise not to blow them up in the first two or three days you use em. (If you blow em up after a week though, that's OK)
  3. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Thanks, but I am going to pass this entire nightmare off on someone else. :)
  4. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Hey Tim, Want a great deal on a Peavy Microbass?, I'll let it go for 50$, speaker sounds blown. But if you replace that 8" PV driver with a LDS 8" and replace that micro bass power section with an iamp 800, and add a Epiphani 310 UL for extension cab, you'll have a "bitchin" rig for about 2000$ :D
  5. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    NO WAY!!

This same thing happened to me last summer. It started for me with a killer deal on a pair of subs. Minus a few precise details, my deal ended up the same way. I started out spending $50, and was into the whole setup for over $500 when I was done. My wife teased me for days about it.

I had another similar thing happen when I picked up a really nice lawnmower they use to maintain greens on golf courses that only needed a "little work". I was only a couple hundred short of just buying a new one when I finished that fiasco.

My final story is when my parents gave me the deck in their backyard. My dad is redoing his entire backyard, so he wanted to clear out the deck on the side of the house and put in a driveway to his shop in the back. We had a bunch of guys over to clear out the area, and we found that we could just pick up the deck and move it all in one piece. So my dad and I decided that I should just take the deck to my house since I was planning on building one anyway. Long story short....the deck falls into a million pieces as it is transported by flatbed five miles across town. All the time spent moving and repairing the deck took longer than just building one from scratch.

6. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    That's somewhere between roughly and precisely what I did!

Mike, I think sometimes the "man's way of thinking" is what gets us in so much trouble!

PS, I have one of those mowers too. My grandpa gave it to me (nice John Deere) and Dad sent it to the dealer to get it all serviced, and the deck put back on with the missing hardware replaced. They did this as a nice gift for me, but I hear through the grapevine my dad spent an absolute fortune at the shop on it. I guess I had better make this mower last a lifetime!

Also Mike, I am in WAY deeper than $500 on this $25 stereo, even after discounts. Almost burning my truck down at a stoplight, after 5 minutes of use on the new sub made me decide I am DONE with that whole project. I got out on the side of the road, and CUT OFF the rest of the wires that wern't burnt.
  7. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Ha. tim cole = teh pwn3d
  8. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Yep on that first comment. I've told my wife many times, "ahh heck, it's an easy fix", and then I proceed to spend the rest of the day in the garage and at Home Depot patching it all together. :D

As far as the burning truck part, my dad saved me from that. I had everything all wired with probably the same gauge wire you did. My dad walks in the garage and starts laughing out loud and tells me to re-wire it so I don't burn up my truck. That was a $25 trip to Radio Shack alone.