1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Great example of Slap Bass

Discussion in 'Rockabilly [DB]' started by Slaphound, Jun 28, 2020.

1. Slaphound

Slaphound Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2003
    Staten Island, NY
    This is Huck Johnson and the Jackknives. The bassist is Todd Wulfmeyer.
    This is a great study in upright bass and of the slap style. For me, this is IT! No Psycobilly for me.

2. dhergert

dhergert Gold Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2018
    Blue Zone, California
    That was great! Nice subtle touch on the slap, not overplayed!

And I love watching leftys play, it's amazing to see both a left-handed guitarist and a left-handed DB'er! :cool:

3. HateyMcAmp

HateyMcAmp Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2006
    Denver, Colorado
    Krivo Pickups artist
    Huck is no slouch of a slap player in his own right, he was Wayne Hancock's bassist for years!

I took lesson with him years back when he came through my town on tour, he's a great guy who was very generous with his knowledge and time.

4. Slaphound

Jun 16, 2003
    Staten Island, NY
    I noticed the sign in the back is backwards. Mirror image. I thought the same thing about them being both lefties but I have my doubts. If it's a mirror image, then I think they are 'righties'.

KUNGfuSHERIFF and dhergert like this.
  5. Slaphound

Jun 16, 2003
    Staten Island, NY
    Huck really is a great player. And Todd was on Waynes first record as a guitarist. These guys are serious players. I'm thinking about asking about slap lessons myself. I can play the heck outta a 'boom chika boom' rhythm and pretty quick too but I think something is off with my 1/8th note rhythm. Listen to Waynes, "Johnny Law." Ric Ramirez (not sure of the spelling. Sorry Ric). Thats the rhythm I'm talking about. I just feel that I don't really get the same sharp sound out of my playing. I got the speed but it doesn't really sound as good to me.

6. 210superair

210superair

Sep 10, 2019
    Yeah man, classy slap bass, dig it.

I hung with Wayne the train once, my buddy was his road manager for a while. Dale Watson too, both were really nice guys. I got a Wayne the train story, but I think the mods would kick me out if I told it here.... Lol. I was the one misbehaving in the story, not Wayne, but it happened at his ready room at the Blind Pig in Ann Arbor Michigan. Got me barred for life!

7. Slaphound

Jun 16, 2003
    Staten Island, NY
    Man. That must be some story. LOL.
    I've hung with Wayne a couple of times at his shows. He spends quality time with his fans and I think its as good as it gets with him. I can imagine the story you have. He is a great guy. His guitarist Bart Weilburg is another guy that spends time with the fans. They all do at the end. I was hoping that Jimmy Sutton would have been more approachable at a JD McPhearson show in Brooklyn but I think me and my buddy must have come on a bit strong and surprised him. I get like a kid sometimes.. LOL. Sorry Jimmy.

8. Keith Rawlings

Keith Rawlings Supporting Member

Aug 3, 2019
    First time I met Wayne he said: “Hi, I’m Wayne, got any weed?”

He’s a real trip. Great guy though.

9. 210superair

210superair

Sep 10, 2019
    Yeah man, it's a pretty good story. During the What Daddy Wants tour. It ended at Weber's hotel, where we were, uhhh, 'invited to leave' early the next morning, lol. I spent the night disappointing some rockabilly looking bird by passing my evening on the floor filling a hotel room garbage can and emptying it into the toilet constantly, if that's a nice enough way to say it. What happened at the blind pig is a bit much to share, but suffice it to say I was quite a wild one then, and was a working musician myself, with the rock star attitude, and everything that went with it. S, D, and rock and roll...fast cars, and faster women. It was a really fun time in my life, but I look back amazed I lived through it...

That's why I switched from being a lead guitarist to an upright bassist! Lol, now I'm an upstanding local citizen and family man, just like that!

10. Keith Rawlings

Keith Rawlings Supporting Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Our rockabilly band has opened up for Wayne three or four times; the first time was at a killer ballroom in San Antonio called the Roaring Twenties in 1998. It was at this awesome place that actually had a real speakeasy in the basement of it. Anyway, we went on around 9; played for an hour and a half; finished the set and we went out front to catch Wayne’s show (we were all big fans and this was when Ric Ramirez was still playing for him). We had known Ric for years as he used to play with Two Tons of Steel, who we played with regularly on the Riverwalk and on St. Mary’s Street in SA. After the show we all went in to see the promoter to get paid and Wayne was talking to the guy, and he asked him why he got “that metal band” to open up for him? We had a good laugh and ended up hanging out with some of the San Antonio cats downtown the rest of the night. Those were great memories - there was nothing like playing Texas rockabilly in the 90’s. I’ve thought about writing a book about it all someday because it was such a special time to be even just a small part of the swing/rockabilly revival during that time. It was so much fun!

11. 210superair

210superair

Sep 10, 2019
    This thread has gone off the rails! Lol. I'll tell one more quick one tho.

My same road manager buddy was working for Hank III, on a tour opening for Beck and playing at Hill Auditorium in Ann Arbor. My boy invited me up, and in all of the pregame activities I was running a little late. I couldn't find a place to park my car, which was nice for the time, a dodge stealth rt twin turbo. I'm in the street in front of the auditorium and my boy peeps his head out the side door and waves and says 'NOW OR NEVER', so I drove my car up over the curb, pulled the ebrake and slid sideways into the grass (now gone) in front of the building. Jumped out and ran for the backstage door, and a security guard yells "THAT'S GETTIN TOWED!' and I yelled back 'TOW IT!' and went and had the time of my life for two days... Lol. And they sure did tow it! Took me three days after return, and a few hundred bucks to get my car back! Good times.

Really enjoyed your guys stories too! Tell more more,