Great Female Double Bassists

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by MacMcBass, Oct 6, 2002.

1. MacMcBass

Dec 16, 2000
    Who would be on your top ten list?
  2. snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    Dorian McLean. Used to play for the Sacramento, Reno, Phoenix symphonies.
  3. There's a bunch in NYC. Orin O'Brien, NY Philharmonic, has to be up there.
  4. olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
  5. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    Alejandra Santa Cruz, Double Bass instructor at the University of Chile.
  6. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    How about Linda McKnight? She might be better known as a teacher than a performer though.
  7. Linda was a protege of Fred Zimmerman. Her students include John Feeney, who, in his teens, tied Edgar Meyer in an ISB competition, and David Grossman, 20-something, the newest bassist with the NY Philharmonic.
    Linda does not play with any big name orchestras. She does travel the US and Europe as a teacher and consultant. She's my arco teacher and near-neighbor.
  8. DalmerM

Oct 15, 2002
    North Carolina
    I just heard the jazz/bluegrass fusion style of Missy Raines last night on TV from PBS doing a live (taped) performance somewhere in KY. She knocked my socks off!
  9. Just checked her out on the jazz corner web site and she is cold. Amazing sound and awesome compositions.
  10. LilliCat

Dec 20, 2002
    Minneapolis, MN
    That is a really hard question to answer. WHile I am young, and haven't seen/met any female bassists other than my partner at school, not even in the orchestras. I guess I should be more awake and do some research because sounds like tere are many out there.
  11. Dondi

May 3, 2003
    I've heard and recorded Mary Anne. She is a tastefull and swinging player. She has just been featured in Bass Player Magazine. She also has no ego problems. Just a real person, happy to play. She deserves to be recognized more widely.
  12. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I really like Paula Gardiner's playing and compositions and have a CD where she leads her own band and writes all the tunes as well as playing Double Bass.
  13. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I know I justed posted a new thread 'bout her, but cast in my vote for Thelma Terry.
  14. MattyN

May 26, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    lets give Meshell Ndegeocello a little love here...
  15. Rich AB

Rich AB

May 29, 2003
    I couldn't agree more. Leandre is an incredible bassist who just knocks me flat; her arco playing is out of this world.

For those not familiar with her, I highly recommend any of the following recordings:

Live @ Banlieues Bleues
    Joelle Leandre Project
    No Comment (solo)
    Passaggio (by Sylvie Courvoisier)
  16. Rachel Calin is one of the best bassists I have ever heard! She teaches with Itzahk Perlman at his summer program and has an amazing huge sound
  17. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    Nicki Parrot, the afternoon that I saw her at the Brooklyn museum she delivered some pretty kill'n solos and playing.
  18. Richard Groff

Richard Groff

Feb 7, 2004
    New York
    Orin O'Brian is a MONSTER bass player and if I am correct, she is the first woman hired to a major orchestra in the United States. Bernstein went to war to get her. Apparently, the story goes that the directors wanted to refuse her hiring and he threw the score across the room and said that no one else who auditioned was half as good. That was told to me personally by Gomberg's 2nd oboist and I had the great opportunity to tell Orin the story myself in the mid 90s. She never knew HOW she got in, just that she was hired. She's a serious star for sure.