Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Great fish recipe

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by DigMe, Apr 17, 2004.

1. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Hey ya'll! My wife just came back from spending two weeks in China so I wanted to cook her a special meal tonight. Orange Roughy is probably my favorite fish (ok..maybe it's tied with trout) so I was looking around for a recipe. I knew I wanted something with dill and I found the recipe that I'm linking here and it was great. Went great with steamed buttered artichoke, roasted corn, croissants and Esser Vineyards 2002 Chardonnay (Great wine!). I usually don't follow recipes honestly...something about someone telling me how to cook my food that just doesn't appeal to me. :) I usually look at several recipes, get some ideas and then do my own thing but this recipe is worth following...

http://www.recipezaar.com/recipe/getrecipe.zsp?id=42176

The only thing I changed was using 4 tsps of lime juice instead of 2 lime and 2 lemon. I love limes. Be sure and use fresh dill and fresh parmesan cheese (not the canned stuff). Don't settle for dried dill from the spice section. I think it would also go well with roasted or steamed asparagus.

brad cook

2. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Hmmm... the mayonnaise top sounds like the baked fish at Luby's (Cafeteria-style restaurant that's ubiquitous in the South; mentioned in case they're scarce elsewhere). I doubt Luby's uses fresh dill, etc., but it is surprisingly good nonetheless. Thor sent me a simple recipe for Tilapia awhile back that sounds really good (shhh... don't tell him I haven't gotten around to ever actually making it yet!).

Hope your wife had a great trip!

:)

3. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Yeah she had a fantastic trip. I think the fresh dill was a big part of the taste too. It wasn't as good as the creamy dill sauce at Le Madeleine but I think it was definitely a step up from Luby's! Luby's probably doesn't use Orange Roughy either...which as I said is one of my faves.

I've made fish in lots of great ways. Last week I cooked some ruby red trout in a tequila lime sauce which was pretty good. The week before that I cooked orange roughy in a cilantro lime sauce (I really like lime!). That turned out excellent. That one was actually very easy. I wasn't in a mood to do anything complicated so I picked up a jar of Pace Mexican Sensations Cilantro Lime sauce. I put the fish in a ziplock earlier that day, poured some of the sauce over it and then squeezed half of a lime into it and shook it up and then let it marinate for a couple of hours. Then I pan fried it and served with more sauce on it and more lime squeezed over it. It was great and I think mixing the fresh lime with the sauce was key.

brad cook

4. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I'm a cilantro fiend... funny that it's an herb that I never encountered while growing up -- yet it's darn near universal, it seems. I think one of the reasons I love Mexican, Thai, Vietnamese, and Indian/South Asian food is that you can find cilantro used in each!!!

I had fried fish topped with cilantro pesto at Z Tejas in Austin once years ago, which led to several attempts to make my own cilantro pesto!

I'll have to check out the Pace sauce you mention...

:hyper:

5. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    The sauce by itself isn't all that but with the added lime it was pretty good. Now that you mention it some added fresh cilantro would be good too. I think I'll just try and make my own ciilantro lime sauce next time!

brad cook

6. here's a good fish recipe:
    put fish in boiling oil
    eat
    yum

7. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    You mean there's more to cooking fish than firing up the grill and drinking beer? :eek:

I need to have Brad over sometime to cook for me...:D

8. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    For any non-American's wondering, cilantro is what the rest of the world calls "corriander".

(I beleive what we call "corriander seeds" are what the American's call "corriander" (ie the herb not the spice)).

:)

9. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I didn't know that. Ate a lot of cilantro when I was in China. Up to that point I'd mostly enjoyed it in Mexican food.

brad cook