Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Great Idea for a new design concept...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PilbaraBass, Jul 7, 2005.

1. I have a great idea to improve the aesthetics of modern basses. It revolves around the pickups.

Currently basses have the pickups through the top or under scratch plates.

Why not design a bass with pickups with extended pole pieces that mount through the back of the bass and the pole pieces then extend through small holes drilled through the top. That way you can have a beautiful wood top whose lines are unbroken by unseemly pickup routes.

First of all, would this even work? I think so, because the poles will be extended to help get the magnetic field to the strings.

I've seen basses with only piezos installed and no mag pup routes and they look AWESOME, but of course, they would lack those mag pup sounds.

What do you all think? Anyone handy with paint programs to produce something like what I am talking about?

2. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

Sounds interesting. I don't know if anyone has tried it yet. The back of the bass would have to be flush with the back of the pickups so it would remain comfortable.

I love when someone proposes a new idea.

3. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Or, you could just have wooden pickup covers ala F-bass, which make the pickups invisible from more than a couple feet back, if that. And, they can even get the grain matched up, so the top would look even less like it has pickups in it.

4. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    If I understand you correctly, you're basically saying lower the pickups to underneath the pretty top, and just have the pole pieces come up thru holes in the top to get close to the strings?

If so, I think it would lack some serious definition because you'd have all those magnetic fields interfering with each other outside of the winding area in free space. Might even have bad hum problems.

The other thing is, at least I'd still have to have something on the top like a ramp or whatnot, as a thumb perch, since there's no pickup covers to use.

Finally, I'm not sure those rods coming out of the bass top would
    really look any better than having nice hardwood covers... either matching or complimentary.

Interesting out-of-the-box thinking, tho.

5. Instead of a ramp, how about a nice carved top, thus bringing the entire top to a comfortable distance below the strings?

If its done right, one may not need to penetrate the top at all...access for pup service would be through the back with a nice cover plate covering it all up.

6. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
  7. Yes Frank, very much like that, but with a more conventional carving.

When you go through that kind of trouble producing an instrument, one would think the wood would be a bit more eye-catching, like a killer quilt or burl top.

8. Check out Matt Pulcinella's site (I think I have that spelling correct!). He has an option that kind of takes the FBass thing to the next step... where the pickup 'cover's are actually a part of the carved top. Interesting.

9. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
  10. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    I just looked up that old thread to show that it has been done before.
    While I think it's been very hard work carving it out, and it sure has some original feautures, I'm not really intrigued by it's looks, either. Though it sure is uniqe

11. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Oh, absolutely. Understood. Yeah, I knew what was going on, I just had to comment 'cause I found it so ugly despite it's (likely) very high quality construction and innovation. I just didn't want to revive that old thread by posting there (seemingly outa' nowhere to everyone else at TB).

12. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Hey, I've seen 3- and 4-year-old threads revived recently, so ;)
    It all comes down to taste and preferences. As you see, some liked it, some didn't.

13. It's definately an interesting approach, though it would also be nice if you could adjust the pickup height.

Mike