1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

great idea!!!

Discussion in 'Ask Mike Watt [Archived]' started by bigbass, Aug 25, 2001.

1. a bass message board moderated by watt, what a great idea! well let me make with the questions for what seeing as that's what this thing is here for.

watt, i read that you plan on using a pick (like you did for j) on your new record because you don't want to lose the abilty to do so again. what about effects? i know you've used some envelope filters in the passed and j had you using an overdrive. any plans of using some pedals in the future? it would be interesting to see you with a nels sized pedal board!

2. watt

watt TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

hi,

thank you much. I haven't been big on effects. seems to suck the fatness out of the low end. the sunn 1200s I have has a compressor but w/two bands - one for low end and one for high - I like that. I've always used some compression mostly. I don't use too much so you can still have dynamics. helps saves speakers to have some though and helps the "plink" (j's words).

I'm using a pick w/some songs on the new record. some on the next tour too. it was seventeen years since the last time I used the pick and this time I plan on keeping it in my arsenal so I can always go to it if I want. if you don't use it, you lose it. I think it's good to have as many techniques as possible going for you so you can be flexible. better than a command on effects. cuz of where our frequencies are, a lot of that stuff gets lost and we get tiny and lose punch. be careful w/effects. one big way to change your sound is where you strike the string - by the bridge or by the neck - big difference and easy to do on the fly. also, how much finger, how much nail.

you don't have to spend money to get different sounds w/bass.

on bass, watt