Great Initial Experience with Breedlove Atlas Fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mattj1stc, Sep 6, 2010.

1. mattj1stc

mattj1stc Gold Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2009
    Dallas, TX USA
    I recently purchases a Breedlove Altas Fretless online (new). Given that this was the import/budget version, I was expecting something decent, but not great. However, I'm really very impressed with just about every aspect of my experience so far (1 week in).

In terms of the retail experience itself, it was typical online - simple generic order taking and delivery. However, when I received the bass, I was surprised to see how rugged the packaging was - much better than I've seen for basses costing 3-4 times more. Also, my bass included a very study case (not a gig bag as advertised), which is also a real plus. The finish and woodworking were outstanding and sound and overall design were really solid. The guy who does my setup thought that this was a $2000+ bass.

However, the surprising part occurred when I plugged in. At first, the G string seemed a little weaker than the others. I noted this when I completed my online registration with Breedlove. Believe it or not, someone from Breedlove called me the next day to find out what was going on, and told me how to resolve the issue. Given that this is just a $749 import bass, I was really impressed with the service level.

Anyway, so far, I'm very happy with my purchase.

2. Hey, mattj1stc.
    Thanks for your report. I'm waiting for mine. Ordered it from music123.com using a great discount coupon. Received a fretted one instead. Just dropped the fretted one off at UPS.

While I liked the fretted version, I'm not a fan of fretted acoustic basses with round wound strings. For me, the artifacts (fret noise and string 'zip') sound almost as loud as the actual notes. So when I get the fretless I plan to change out the strings to D'Addario Chromes. Hoping for a sound a sound similar to that of an upright. Looking forward to it.

Good luck with yours.
    Chuck

3. Photobassist

Photobassist

Dec 18, 2010
    Japan
    I'm looking at selling off all my electric bass equipment and buying a Breedlove fretless. Would you care to comment on your experiences since receiving this bass.

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 13, 2021