1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Great Instrumental Records / Artists

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by m0ranwad, Mar 26, 2013.

1. m0ranwad

m0ranwad

Jan 29, 2013
    I'm looking for some :help:

I really enjoy instrumental records, but I tend to rely on Pandora for this. What are some instrumental records that you'd suggest?

I really like something that grooves (i.e. The Meters, Galactic, Funk Jazz). Maybe a few jam band suggestions (although, I'll probably already have it in my collection :smug: ) Blues is always good, too (i.e. Ronnie Earl does a ton of instrumental blues).

I'm not so much a classical music kinda guy, and I'm not looking for the Andy Mckee types, either. The fuller the band, the better. A 14 piece jazz band is alright by me ;)

2. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    The New Mastersounds (same vibe as The Meters).
    The Brand New Heavies have a few instrumental groove tracks.
    MM&W have some organ-Funk groove albums, too.

Robben Ford & The Blue Line?
    Roy Buchanan?

Marcus Shelby Jazz Orchestra
    Charles Mingus Big Band (Me Myself & Eye or I Am Three, etc).
    The Vanguard Jazz Orchestra

You have heard Blow By Blow by Jeff Beck?
    ...and the instrumental tracks by The Jeff Beck Group?

As far as Pandora goes-
    I have a channel called "Bitches Brew" & another called "Steps Ahead".
    Lotta good stuff comin' out of those.

3. datsaxguy

datsaxguy

Oct 28, 2008
    Maryland
    Soul Live
    Oteil and the peace makers
    Allman brothers
    Aquarium rescue unit

Those groups should get your Pandora going in the right direction. Soul live is the key

4. PlatypusBassist

PlatypusBassist

Jun 15, 2011
    Tribal Tech
    Liquid Tension Experiment
    Orbital Elements by Obscura
    Triphasic
    Maybe not all to your taste but they're still great IMO

5. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    Galactic

Various projects by John Scofield

Booker T & the MGs (going way back in time, but still very cool) (sort of the Memphis counterpart of the Meters)

"The Allman Brothers at Fillmore East" <-- also way back in time, but a good part of it -- perhaps the majority -- is instrumental, and it's astounding

6. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    Also, you said that you're not much of a classical kind of guy, but you might listen to Stravinsky's "Le Sacre du Printemps" ("The Rite of Spring"). It's a ballet that hit the early part of the 20th century like an atomic bomb, and still has plenty of raw power. Many of our favorites, such as Frank Zappa and John McLaughlin, were influenced by it. There are places where the orchestra is divided into three or four sections, each playing a different rhythm (sometimes in different keys) and swinging (dare I say "rocking") intensely. Most own personal favorite version is a recording by the Chicago Symphony Orchestra, conducted by Seiji Ozawa.

7. m0ranwad

m0ranwad

Jan 29, 2013
    Going to see Galactic live in a couple weeks :cool: Booker T is great, also. I'll have to look into John Scofield

The Allman Brothers is one of my all time favorite bands. I gotta check out the Fillmore East album (I have Ludlow Garage which has that sweet 45 minute Mountain Jam on it).

^ These all sound like Acid Jazz names. Haha I'll definitely look into them.

^ Couple I haven't heard of, thanks.

To be honest, the only Jeff Beck I have is from the Yardbirds :bag: Anyways, lots of great suggestions here.

8. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Tribal Tech is not Acid Jazz...you've been warned.
    ;)

OMG. Well, "Heart Full Of Soul" is a precursor of what was to come.
    Blow By Blow is a must-own.

9. Plucky The Bassist

Plucky The Bassist ZOMG! I'm back from the dead! Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I was going to say Scale the Summit and Animals as Leaders, but they are both prog metal...might not be what you're into. Still some amazing guitar work though, not too heavy in the bass department IMO lol

10. If you're not adverse to some metal, I have some suggestions:

1. The Machinations of Dementia and The Animation of Entomology (Blotted Science)
    2. The Space Between and In Time (Intervals)
    3. [Self-Titled] and Weightless (Animals As Leaders, the first one is interspersed with some cool little jazz-fusion-like tracks)

I love the bejezus out of these guys. Highly recommend.

or...

4. Chuck Mangione
    5. Herb Alpert ("Rise" is especially funky)
    6. Spyro Gyra

Great jazz.

--Silvie

EDIT: +1 to VT on Scale the Summit. Never heard of them before but listened to some of their stuff and wow.

11. timbass

timbass

Dec 28, 2004
    Bethlehem PA
    Hello - I also like instrumental music. I have recently completely a full length CD whereby I had the best drummers I could get (5 in all). They are touring pros. 8/13 songs on the record are instrumental (funk, blues, improv, jam, metal). I did try and sing on a few tunes. Not here to plug, but I thought there was a place in the world for more 'bass-written' instrumental music so I finally did it. It's The Bud Jones Band (on CD Baby).

12. It's not for everyone, but Dark Magus from Miles Davis is pretty awesome. Truthfully, I love all his electric stuff from Bitches Brew through the mid 70s.

13. t77mackie

t77mackie

Jun 13, 2012
    Wormtown, MA
    Blues Saraceno - Never Look Back & Plaid
    Steve Vai - Passion and Warfare
    Brand X - Any
    Randy Coven - Sammy Says Ouch!
    Stu Hamm - Radio Free Albemuth or however it's spelled

14. IPYF

IPYF

Mar 31, 2011
    Pelican.

Pelican are f*cking amazing.

15. Bruski

Bruski

Aug 30, 2012
    Boston, MA
    Now THOSE are some Kick-Ass Picks...
    Dont forget some "Surfing w/The Alien"... I'd also get the G3 Live in Concert, mostly instrumental...

16. Up the dose

Up the dose

Mar 10, 2013
    Kashmere Stage Band. Check this out! These kids were in high school playing some great funk!

17. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    Jean Luc Ponty

Dan Fogelberg and Tim Weisberg put out one hell of an album.

Bob James and Earl Klugh are a great team

T-Square
    Or
    Casiopea

18. BenBL

BenBL

Jun 25, 2012
    Dad man cat - Cordurouy really good acid jazz right here

this may not be up your ally but Sans Soucci by Brontide is a really good instrumental metal (?) (maybe) album that I've been really digging for the past few days and I don't listen to metal at all
    here -->

19. lmfreeman9

lmfreeman9 Supporting Member

Sep 1, 2007
    Arizona
    Mountain-Leslie West/Felix Pappilardi
    Twin Peaks album
    Nantucket Sleighride 32 minute version

They also recorded a 20 minute version of Stormy Monday is on the collection album Over the top.

Allman Bros have lots of long jams especially on the Fillmore East album but their last studio CD Hittin' The Note had a great instrumental called Instrumental Illness about 10 minutes or more and Oteil Burbridge is killing.